New Pup only recommends products that we’ve tested, or significantly researched . This page contains affiliate links, that at no additional cost to you, may earn a small commission for the site. Find out more here.
Best Dog Beds
- Top Pick: JOYELF Memory Foam Dog Bed
- Second best: Veehoo Elevated Dog Bed
- Third best: BEDSURE Waterproof Dog Bed
- Recommended: The Donut Dog Bed
- Recommended: Docatgo Dog Bed
- Recommended: JOYELF Dog Bed
- Recommended: ANPPEX Dog House
- Recommended: Cheerhunting Travel Dog Bed
Comparing the Best Dog Beds
In Depth Reviews of Our Recommended Beds
JOYELF Memory Foam Dog Bed review
- Best orthopaedic bed
- Memory foam base
- Soft, removable cover
If you’re looking for the best orthopaedic dog bed, the JOYELF Medium Memory Foam Dog Bed Orthopedic Dog Bed & Sofa with Removable Washable Cover is a perfect choice. High-density memory foam supports your dog’s joints and provides the ultimate comfort, even for those with joint or mobility issues. Bolstered sides around the bed create that cosy feeling, as well as acting as a headrest.
The inner cover of the bed is soft and breathable, with a waterproof liner inside to protect the memory foam against any accidents. My dogs found this bed very comfortable, and it seemed supportive even for my chihuahua who has joint pain. I loved that the bottom was non-slip to prevent it sliding around.
The cover is removable and can be popped in the washing machine for easy cleaning. This bed is available in a wide range of sizes to suit all breeds.
- Most owners said this bed was extremely comfortable for their dogs
- Owners liked that the cover was removable and could be put in the washing machine for easy cleaning, particularly mentioning this prevented the bed losing shape by having to put the whole thing in the wash
- Bolstered sides create a cosy feeling or a headrest for dogs who like to stretch out
- Dogs liked the bonus of a free squeaky toy as a gift that comes with this bed
- Many said they felt this bed was very high-quality and well-made, with some saying they felt it would last a long time
- Owners of dogs with joint pain and mobility issues found this bed was supportive for their dogs
- Some owners found the bolstered sides weren’t as firm as they would have liked
- Some felt the larger sizes of this bed weren’t big enough for their large breed dog to fully stretch out
- Some stated the bed wasn’t as supportive or high-quality as they expected
- Some felt the bed wasn’t durable enough and wouldn’t wear well
- Waterproof lining to protect the mattress can make a slight crinkling noise when your dog moves, which some dogs may not like
- Some owners weren’t pleased with the free squeaky toy, worrying it was too thin and wouldn’t stand up to their dog’s chewing
Veehoo Elevated Dog Bed review
- Best elevated bed
- Strong and durable
- Breathable mesh for comfort
The Veehoo Cooling Elevated Dog Bed is 1 of the best elevated dog beds, with a breathable, durable, mesh fabric to ensure your dog’s comfort. This bed is raised, which aids with keeping your dog cool in hot weather and keeping them away from drafts in cold weather. Powder-coated steel tubes and non-slip feet ensure stability and strength.
I found this bed very comfortable for my dogs, especially when combined with a blanket to make it cosy. I loved that it was waterproof and easily wiped clean. It’s even lightweight and easy to move around the home, which I found very convenient.
This bed is available in a range of sizes to suit all breeds, with larger sizes being strong enough to stand up to wear and tear from large breeds. You can even choose from a range of colours to suit your home.
- Most owners stated this bed was very comfortable and supportive for their dog, especially when combined with a blanket or other comfort items
- Fairly easy to put together and lightweight for transport
- Owners liked that this bed gave their dog a raised surface to lie on, feeling it kept them free from draughts and would also keep them cool in hot weather
- Very easy to clean, with owners mentioning they could simply hoover over the surface of the bed or wipe it down when needed
- Many said this bed was high quality and excellent value
- Durable and strong to stand up to large breed dogs like German Shepherds and Rottweilers, even for those who usually destroy other beds
- Some owners found this bed difficult to assemble, mentioning they would recommend 2 people to make the process easier
- Some owners of power chewers found their determined dog could chew through this bed when left unsupervised
- After months of use, some owners found the material sagged in the middle, particularly with larger breed dogs
- Some felt this bed wasn’t comfortable enough for their dog, and mentioned their dog would choose softer places to lie in the home
- Some felt this bed wasn’t good quality and therefore, wasn’t worth the price
BEDSURE Waterproof Dog Bed review
- Best waterproof bed
- Water-resistant, durable material
- Easy to clean
If you need the best waterproof dog bed, the BEDSURE Waterproof Dog Bed Large is an excellent choice. High-quality oxford fabric is designed to be water-resistant, durable, and even chew resistant. Microfibre filling and soft outer fabric ensure your dog is comfortable and supported.
This bed can be wiped clean or popped in the washing machine for easy cleaning. We got my springer spaniel this bed a few months ago and it has worn very well. I love that I can wipe it clean after a walk to reduce washing if she gets it muddy.
All of my dogs love this bed and find it very comfortable. It’s even lightweight so it’s easy to move around the home or roll up to take travelling. It’s available in a range of sizes to suit most breeds.
- Most owners felt this bed was very comfortable for their dogs, in particular mentioning it was well padded
- Owners appreciated that the bed was water-resistant, which is especially useful for puppies or older dogs prone to accidents
- Many mentioned the bed was very easy to clean by wiping the bed or putting it in the washing machine
- Very durable and long-lasting, even standing up to mischievous dogs who have previously destroyed other beds
- Owners liked that this bed doesn’t attract much hair and was easy to remove hair from when needed, especially with dogs who shed a lot
- Some felt this bed wasn’t high-quality and wouldn’t be very durable, especially for their active, large breed dog
- Some found the bed wasn’t as waterproof as they expected which was disappointing
- Not designed to stand up to persistent chewing, with some owners finding their determined dog could chew through this bed
- Some found the bed wasn’t as padded or thick as they would have liked, feeling it wouldn’t be comfortable for their dog
The Donut Dog Bed review
- Best donut bed
- Calming and comfortable
- Range of sizes available
The Dog’s Bed Sound Sleep Donut Dog Bed is a fantastic choice if you’re looking for the best donut dog bed. With a faux fur cover and a dual-layer base, this bed is designed to provide the luxurious comfort your pup deserves. The raised sides and lowered bottom create a nest-like space that reduces anxiety, calms your dog, and eases them into a peaceful sleep.
This bed is even self-warming, holding onto the heat of your dog’s body to keep them warm and relaxed. My chihuahua loves to snuggle up and absolutely adored this bed. I found it was soft, comfortable, and felt it was stylish in the home.
You can choose from a range of colours to suit your décor. The cover is removable for easy washing, and I liked that you could buy replacement covers if they do become worn over time. The bed is available in a range of sizes to suit all breeds, which I felt was an added bonus as not all beds of this type include large sizes.
- Many said that their dog was extremely comfortable in this bed, feeling they were supported and cosy
- Owners of large breeds loved that they could get a snuggle bed big enough for their dog
- Calming and relaxing, even for dogs with joint pain or those with anxiety issues
- Many said they felt the bed was well-made and high-quality, and they would recommend it to other owners
- Some owners mentioned they liked the style of this bed, feeling it looked good in their home
- Not designed to stand up to chewing or rough play, with some owners finding their dog could easily destroy this bed
- Some felt the bed wasn’t good quality or worth the money, with some finding the bed was faulty upon arrival
- Some found the padding wasn’t evenly distributed, although mentioned this was easy to fix
- Some owners found there wasn’t enough stuffing in the bed, feeling it wasn’t supportive enough for their dog
Docatgo Dog Bed review
- Best bolster bed
- Raised sides for comfort
- Soft, fleece material
The Docatgo Dog Bed is 1 of the best bolster dog beds, providing cosy comfort for your sleepy pup. Soft bolstered sides provide support and a cosy nest area for your dog to snooze in. The inner cushion is well padded and the soft, fleece material add to your dog’s comfort.
My dogs found this bed very cosy, and I liked the lowered entrance area at the front of the bed to make access easier for my toy breed. The cover is removable and can be machine washed for convenience. I liked that the bed had an anti-slip bottom and felt it looked stylish overall.
This listing is suitable for small to medium dogs, or large breeds who measure fairly small for their breed.
- Owners felt that this bed was great value, especially when compared to other similar dog beds
- Many felt this bed was high-quality and well-made, stating they were pleased with their purchase
- Many owners said this bed was very comfortable for their dogs, even those who are elderly or have joint issues
- Easy to clean with a removable cover to pop in the washing machine for convenience
- Owners generally felt this bed was cosy, with many saying they felt it would keep their dog warm even on cold nights
- Some owners found the sizing misleading and ended up with a bed that was too small for their dog
- Some found the bed wasn’t as padded as they hoped, stating it wasn’t supportive enough for their pup
- Several owners felt the bed wasn’t good quality and were disappointed with their purchase
- Not designed to stand up to chewing, with some owners finding their dog could chew through this bed easily
JOYELF Dog Bed review
- Best novelty bed
- Cute pirate shape
- Comfortable and practical
If you prefer something fun and quirky, the JOYELF Medium Dog Bed with Washable Cover Pirate Ship may be more your style. This is 1 of the best novelty dog beds, designed in the shape of a pirate ship. Don’t worry, it’s not just fun, it’s also practical, with raised sides and a comfy base to provide support.
The base of the bed is reversible: 1 side is faux wool to keep your pup warm during cool weather, and the other is micro suede to keep your dog cooler in the summer months. The waterproof, non-slip bottom adds to the practicality of this bed. It’s even got a removable, machine-washable cover.
I loved this bed, finding it fun, joyful, and very comfortable for my dogs. I appreciated the life buoy toy that came as a free gift: a great addition to any doggy pirate ship. This bed comes in 2 sizes to suit most breeds.
- Many owners (and dogs) loved this bed, feeling it was both fun and comfortable
- Owners liked the free toys that came with the bed, feeling they were a nice, added touch
- Even dogs with medical issues found this bed supportive, with owners mentioning their dog could stretch out fully
- Owners generally felt this bed was well-made, high-quality, and fairly durable
- Many said this bed was easy to keep clean, appreciating the removable cover
- Some felt the bed didn’t contain enough padding, stating it wasn’t supportive enough for their dog
- Not designed to stand up to chewing, with some owners finding their dog could chew through this bed, in particular mentioning the zips as a weak point
- Some found the sizing misleading and purchased a bed that was too small for their dog
- Some owners felt this bed wasn’t high-quality and therefore, wasn’t good value
ANPPEX Dog House review
- Best cave bed
- Cosy and secure
- Stylish and cute
If your dog loves to snuggle up and feel enclosed in their own cosy space, the ANPPEX Igloo Dog House is the perfect choice. This little dog house gives your dog their own space, with soft sides and a removable cushion to ensure their comfort. The bottom is non-slip, and the house can even be folded down to make an open-topped bed if you want a change.
I absolutely love this dog house and so do my dogs (1 of them is snoozing in it right now)! We’ve had it for a couple of years, and it’s worn well and is very cosy, with both of my small dogs usually eager for their turn inside. I love that it folds down for easy storage or transportation if you travel a lot.
The whole house and cushion can be popped in the washing machine for easy cleaning. It comes in a range of adorable patterns to suit your style. It’s available in 3 sizes to suit toy to small breed dogs.
- Many owners felt this bed was well-made and high-quality
- Owners liked that this bed could be popped in the washing machine for easy cleaning, stating specifically that it kept its shape well
- Creates a safe, enclosed space for dogs, which owners said was calming for their dogs, even those who are usually anxious
- Several owners said this was their dog’s favourite bed and they felt it was good value
- Owners enjoyed the choice of patterns, feeling they were cute and stylish
- Many said they liked the choice of sizes, with larger sizes being roomier than they expected
- Some felt the material was too thin and flimsy, stating it wasn’t as sturdy as they expected
- Some found the bed didn’t keep its shape, particularly the outer part
- Some felt this bed wasn’t good quality or good value
- Cool wash is advised, with some owners saying the bed broke or lost shape in the wash
- Some stated the size guide was misleading and ended up with a bed too small for their dog
Cheerhunting Travel Dog Bed review
- Best travel bed
- Water-resistant and durable
- Rolls up for travel
If you and your best friend go on lots of travelling adventures, the Cheerhunting Outdoor Dog Bed 43”x26” is a practical choice. This bed is water-resistant, very durable, and can be used both indoors and outdoors. Filled with cotton, this bed will provide your dog with a comfortable place to snooze anywhere you go.
The bed rolls up for easy transport and fits into the matching carry bag. It can be wiped clean, hand-washed, or machine washed for easy cleaning anywhere. I found this bed very practical, especially for camping adventures.
It’s available in 1 size to suit most small, medium, and large breed dogs.
- Owners loved that the bed rolls up, making it very convenient for travel
- Easy to clean with owners stating it can be wiped down and doesn’t attract hair or mud like some other beds
- Owners generally felt this bed was durable and sturdy, even with big, active dogs
- Many said they felt this bed was good value given its quality and the ease of transport
- Great for use outdoors, for example when camping or hiking, to give dogs a clean, dry place to lie
- Not as padded as some other dog beds, which some owners felt wasn’t comfortable enough for their dog
- Water-resistant not fully waterproof, which some owners found disappointing
- Some found this bed wasn’t as durable as they hoped, finding their dog could chew through it or rip it
- Some owners felt the bed wasn’t worth the price, stating it wasn’t the quality they expected
Dog Bed Buyer’s Guide
Things to Look for in a Dog Bed
When you’re searching for the best dog bed, keeping the following in mind will help you make the best choice:
A bed made from high-quality materials is likely to last longer and be more comfortable for your dog.
The more durable the bed, the better it will wear. As well as choosing durable materials, look for features such as reinforced stitching and chew-resistance. It’s always a good idea to check out the reviews for indications of durability.
Correct Size for Your Dog
Of course, you want the bed to be the right size for your dog. Look at the size guide and measure your dog (or their other beds) for guidance. In general, a bed that’s too big will be fine but a bed that’s too small will be uncomfortable for your pup.
Suitable for Your Dog’s Age and Health
It’s crucial the bed you choose is suitable for your dog’s age and health. If your dog is a puppy, a water-resistant bed that’s easily cleaned may be more suitable in case they have accidents. It’s also a good idea to get something highly durable, as puppies can be mischievous.
If your dog is older or has mobility issues, look for a bed with extra support, such as an orthopaedic bed. Think about how they will access the bed, for example how high it is. If the bed has raised sides, looked for a lowered entry point to make things easier for your furbaby.
Comfort for Your Dog
As well as comfortable materials and the right size, other factors contribute to finding a bed that’s comfortable for your pup. Think about how they typically like to sleep: if they like to be sprawled out, a bigger bed will be better. However, if they like to curl up and prefer to be enclosed, a smaller bed that has raised sides or is enclosed will be more suitable.
Waterproof or Water-Resistant
Beds that are waterproof or water-resistant are great if your dog is prone to accidents, or if you’re going to use the bed outdoors. It’s also generally a good indicator of durability if your dog tends to be more destructive.
We all know that dogs tend to make a mess: they shed hair, bring in mud, and sometimes have accidents. Waterproof beds will typically wipe down easily, which can be useful. If you prefer a softer bed, look for removable covers that are machine washable to make your life easier.
Since your dog’s bed will be a long-term fixture in your household, you might like to consider the style of bed. Some people prefer certain materials, patterns, or colours that they feel will fit in with their décor.
Dog Bed Safety Advice
Always choose a bed made from safe, high-quality materials. Ensure there are no easily detachable parts to the bed that could pose a choking hazard for your pup. If your dog is prone to destroying beds, look for a heavy-duty bed and supervise them upon first use to ensure they’re safe.
Do dogs really need a bed?
Yes, just like us sleep is vital for your dog’s health. A dog bed ensures they’re comfortable and have the best sleep possible. It also gives them a safe place to relax during the day.
How much should your dog sleep?
How much your dog sleeps in 24 hours will depend on their age, health, and activity level. In general, puppies will sleep between 18 to 20 a day, while adult dogs will sleep between 12 to 14 hours a day.
Finding the right bed for your best pal will ensure they have a cosy, safe space to relax and unwind. They’ll soon be snoozing away dreaming of all sorts of adventures!