New Pup only recommends products that we’ve tested, or significantly researched . This page contains affiliate links, that at no additional cost to you, may earn a small commission for the site. Find out more here.
Best Small Dog and Puppy Blankets
- Top Pick: furrybaby Premium Fluffy Fleece Dog Blanket
- Second best: FurHaven Pet Bed Blanket for Dogs
- Third best: PAWZ Road Pet Dog Blanket
- Recommended: Furhaven Pet Bed for Dogs
- Recommended: AK KYC 6 pack Puppy Blanket
- Recommended: Rosewood Luxury Puppy Blanket
- Recommended: Pawsse Waterproof Puppy Blanket
- Recommended: IFOYO Puppy Play Mat
- Recommended: Personalised Puppy Blanket
Comparing the Best Small Dog and Puppy Blankets
FurHaven Pet Bed Blanket for Dogs review
- Best self-warming dog blanket
- Inner reflective thermal layer
- Choice of 2 soft sides
If you’re looking for the best self-warming blanket for your dog, the FurHaven Pet Bed Blanket for Dogs is the perfect choice. A self-warming reflective thermal mat in the centre of the blanket holds onto your dog’s body heat and reflects it back at them to keep them super warm and snuggly. 1 side of the blanket is a soft terry fabric, and the other side is faux lambswool, allowing your pup to pick whichever side they find most comfortable.
The blanket comes in 3 colour choices and is 2-tone, making it stylish as well as practical. It can be popped in the washing machine for easy cleaning and is designed to stand up to washing and wear over time (it’s even water repellent for any little accidents). I felt this blanket was very soft and warm for my little dogs.
- Owners typically found this blanket kept their dog nice and warm, even in cold weather
- Many owners found their dog loved this blanket and said it was their favourite place to sleep
- Many said this blanket washed well, was fairly durable, and stood up to wear well over time
- Many liked that the blanket was water repellent, finding it was handy for any accidents
- Owners of older dogs and those with joint issues felt the warmth of the blanket was soothing for their dog’s aches and pains
- Many owners felt this blanket was soft, comfortable, and high-quality for their dog
- Some owners found that this blanket didn’t wash well, in particular mentioning the inner thermal layer was prone to bunching up
- Not designed to stand up to chewing or rough play, with some owners saying their dog could chew through this blanket
- Some found the blanket didn’t radiate as much heat as they expected
- Inner thermal layer can make the blanket crinkle as dog moves around which some owners didn’t like
- Some found the sizing misleading and got a blanket that was too small for their dog, in particular those with large breeds
PAWZ Road Pet Dog Blanket review
- Best patterned dog blanket
- Cute polka dot pattern
- Ultra-soft, plush fabric
The PAWZ Road Pet Dog Blanket is an excellent option if you prefer a cute, patterned blanket, featuring an adorable polka dot pattern. The blanket is made from ultra-soft plush, velvet material, making it durable and very soft for your pup. It’s breathable, lightweight, and perfect for use in all weathers.
I liked that this blanket was available in 4 colours and felt it was really cute and stylish overall. The material is double-sided, so it’s nice and soft on both sides. This blanket is machine washable for convenient cleaning.
- Most owners found this blanket very durable, with some even saying it had stood up to all sorts of wear over years
- Owners loved the cute pattern on this blanket, feeling it was cute and stylish
- Owners found this blanket was extremely soft and they felt it was very comfortable for their dog
- Most owners found the blanket washed well and remained soft over time
- Many said their dog loved this blanket and they would regularly choose it to snuggle up in
- Most owners felt this blanket was worth the investment, given the high-quality and how well it lasted over time
- Blanket is thinner than some other blankets, which some owners didn’t like
- Several owners felt the price was too high for this blanket, stating it wasn’t high-quality enough
- Some owners found their dog could chew up or rip this blanket easily
- Some found the blanket didn’t wash well or last well over time
- Some found the blanket was smaller than expected which was a problem in particular for owners of large breeds
Furhaven Pet Bed for Dogs review
- Best dog bed and blanket in 1
- Donut bed with attached blanket
- Nest-like feeling
The Furhaven Pet Bed for Dogs and Cats is a fantastic choice if your dog likes to burrow under their blanket and really cuddle in (like my chihuahua does). This is a blanket and bed in 1, providing the ultimate comfort for your pup: the bolstered donut bed is supportive and perfect for feeling enclosed and snuggled up. The faux fur interior and plush velvet fabric blanket provide a comfortable, soft nest.
You can choose from 2 colours to suit your dog or your home, and it comes in the ideal small size. The bed can be machine washed and is designed to be highly durable. I loved this bed and blanket in 1 and so did my small breed dogs: I felt it was extremely comfortable for them.
- Most owners found that this bed and blanket was very soft, comfortable, and cosy for their dog
- Many owners, especially those of little dogs, said their dog loved this bed and would spend a lot of time in it
- Owners loved that their dog could burrow into this bed using it as both a bed and blanket
- Owners of smaller dogs and elderly dogs in particular felt this bed and blanket were warm and comforting for their dog
- Many owners felt the bed was high-quality and were pleased with their purchase
- Some found the bed didn’t wash well, stating it lost shape or came apart in the washing machine
- Some felt the bed wasn’t as high-quality as they expected
- Some owners experienced wear or breakage after a short period of use, in particular ripping at the seams
AK KYC 6 pack Puppy Blanket review
- Best pack of dog blankets
- 6 blankets in pack
- Soft, lightweight, fleece material
If you’re searching for a pack of blankets, the AK KYC 6 pack Puppy Blanket could be the best choice for your needs. You get an amazing 6 small blankets in a range of colours. They’re made from thin fleece material, which is lightweight and soft for your pup.
I loved that these blankets had a cute pawprint pattern, and I felt that they were great value for the price. They can be popped in the washing machine for cleaning, making them handy if your puppy is still potty training (or if you have a small older dog who has accidents).
- Owners loved that they got 6 blankets in this pack, feeling they were very handy and great value
- Owners felt the colours were vibrant and the pattern was very cute
- Many found the blankets were easy to wash and dry and said they stood up to washing well over time
- Most owners felt these blankets were soft and comfortable for their dog
- Many found that these blankets were fairly strong and durable, with some saying they even stood up to teething puppies
- Blankets are quite thin, which some owners didn’t expect and weren’t happy with
- These blankets are small, designed for small dogs or puppies, with some owners of larger dogs finding they were smaller than they expected
- Some owners felt these blankets weren’t good quality and were disappointed with them
Rosewood Luxury Puppy Blanket review
- Best fluffy dog blanket
- Luxurious and soft
- Designed for comfort
The Rosewood Natural Nippers Luxury Puppy Blanket is one of the best fluffy blankets for small dogs and puppies. If you’re looking for something extremely soft and comforting, this is a great choice. The small, fluffy blanket is designed to calm and soothe your pup, while keeping them warm and cosy.
It can be machine washed when needed and stands up to washing well. I loved this blanket, finding it luxurious and soft for my small breed. I felt it was fairly durable and great quality.
- Owners found that this blanket was very soft, with many saying it was much softer than any other dog blanket they’d tried
- Most owners felt this blanket was very calming, comforting, and comfortable for their dog
- Many said this blanket helped to keep their dog warm even during cold weather
- Many owners felt this blanket was very high-quality and excellent value
- Most owners found the blanket was fairly durable, washing well and standing up to light chewing from puppies
- Some owners didn’t realise that the blanket was for small dogs and puppies, and were surprised by how small it was
- Some found the fluff was prone to shedding which they found frustrating
- Some owners found the blanket was prone to fraying or wear during washing
- Some felt the blanket wasn’t high-quality or well-made
Pawsse Waterproof Puppy Blanket review
- Best waterproof dog blanket
- Waterproof coating
- Soft and comfortable
If you’re looking for the best waterproof dog blanket, you should consider the Pawsse Waterproof Puppy Blanket. The material has a waterproof coating to ensure liquid doesn’t soak in, and instead can easily be cleaned. The blanket is also soft, with micro fleece on one side and soft cotton on the other side.
I found this blanket waterproof, soft, and generally felt this blanket was high-quality. The blanket is machine washable, durable, and can even be used as a cover for surfaces you want to protect from your dog’s hair, any dirty, or little accidents.
- Owners typically found the blanket was high-quality and completely waterproof
- Protects furniture from dirt, mud, and accidents, which was particularly useful for owners of puppies or older dogs
- Many found this blanket was durable, lasting well over time with some owners even saying it had lasted months or years of regular wear
- Blanket washes well, with most owners finding it stood up to regular washing over time
- Most owners felt the blanket was very soft and comfortable for their dog
- Blanket can be prone to shedding which some owners found off-putting
- Some owners experienced leakage and found the blanket wasn’t waterproof enough
- Some found the blanket was tough to wash, especially for those who purchased larger blanket sizes
- Some felt the blanket wasn’t as high-quality as they expected and wasn’t worth the price
IFOYO Puppy Play Mat review
- Best dog activity blanket
- Soft surface
- Attached toys for play
If you’re on the hunt for an activity blanket that can be used for snoozing, comfort, and play, then the IFOYO Puppy Play Mat could be a great choice for you. The soft surface is fantastic for your dog to snuggle up for a snooze on. There are a variety of toys attached to the corners and sides of the blanket to encourage play and engage your pup’s natural instincts.
This is a great option for puppies who are still learning about the world, or simply small dogs who love to play (provided they aren’t tough chewers). I loved that the bottom was anti-slip, so it doesn’t move around during play. It can be wiped clean or popped in the washing machine for easy cleaning.
- Many felt this blanket was excellent for their puppy, providing both stimulation and comfort
- Many felt this blanket was fairly durable, even standing up to rough play and light chewing from puppies
- Some owners found this blanket helped to redirect destructive chewing during puppy training
- Many owners found their small dog or puppy loved this blanket
- Owners typically found the blanket washed well and wore well over time
- Some owners found the blanket wasn’t as durable as expected, in particular mentioning their puppy could remove the toys from the blanket
- Some found the toys attached to the blanket weren’t durable
- Some found one of the toys was missing its squeaker, however customer service did replace the blanket
- Some felt this blanket wasn’t high quality and weren’t happy with their purchase
Personalised Puppy Blanket review
- Best personalized dog blanket
- Dog’s name embroidered
- Soft, cosy blanket
Let’s face it, personalized items for your dog are adorable and if you’d like a personalised blanket for your furbaby, this Personalised Puppy Blanket is a great choice. You can choose from a choice of colours for the print and have your dog’s name embroidered onto the blanket next to a cute pawprint.
I loved the personalized option, feeling it was an adorable idea and would even make a great gift! The blanket itself is soft and fairly durable, perfect for your pup to snuggle up in.
- Owners loved the personalized aspect of this blanket, feeling it really added something special to the blanket
- Most owners felt this blanket was high-quality and durable, stating it would last well over time
- Many felt this blanket was soft and comfortable for their dog
- Owners felt the blanket was well-made, in particular stating that the stitching was high-quality
- Many said this was their dog’s favourite blanket and that they would recommend it others
- Some owners didn’t realise how small the blanket was and were disappointed by the small size, especially those with large breeds •
- Some owners found this blanket wasn’t as high-quality as they expected
Dog Blanket for Small Dogs and Puppies Buyer’s Guide
Things to Look for in a Dog Blanket for Small Dogs and Puppies
To help you find the best dog blanket for your small dog or puppy, you can look for the following:
A blanket made from high-quality materials is more likely to be safe and comfortable for your pup. It’s also more likely to wear well over time, which gives you better value for money. If you have a puppy, very soft materials can be reassuring and comforting for them as they settle into their new home.
For a small dog or puppy, a small blanket is typically the perfect size. Double check measurements as well as the sizes listed to ensure it’s big enough for your dog. If your puppy is going to grow into a large dog, you might want to get a bigger blanket to save you having to buy a new one as they grow.
Most blankets can be popped in the washing machine for easy cleaning. Be sure to check for this, especially if you have a puppy as they’re more likely to have accidents on their blanket as well as attracting dirt to their sleeping area.
Comfortable for Your Dog
Of course, you want the blanket to be as comfortable for your dog as possible. Soft, quality materials will be key here. If you have an adult small breed, think about what textures they usually gravitate towards to help you pick the best blanket for them.
Warm and Cosy
Small dogs and puppies are more likely to get cold quickly than bigger dogs, especially in chilly weather, so choosing a blanket that’s warm and cosy can help to keep them warm.
Quality materials will ensure the blanket lasts over time, standing up to wear and washing well. Check the material type as well as the reviews for indications of durability. You can also look for additional factors that indicate strength, such as double stitching, multiple layers of material, being water resistant, and even being chew resistant.
If you have a puppy, it’s important you choose a blanket made from fairly durable materials as they are still experimenting with biting, chewing, and rough play.
Some blankets might have additional features such as being self-warming, having puppy toys attached, or being personalized! Think about what appeals most to you and what will work for your needs.
Finally, blankets come in a lot of different colours, patterns, and styles. If this is important to you, you can take your time to figure out what suits your dog’s personality or what matches your décor.
Benefits of a Blanket for Your Dog
Blankets have many benefits for both you and your dog. A blanket can make your dog more comfortable, helping them to relax and sleep better. A nice soft blanket can also be comforting and calming, especially for a young puppy who is still getting used to the world around them and being away from their mother.
Some breeders or rescue centres may provide a blanket that smells like the puppy’s mother that you can take home with you. This helps your puppy to transition to their new home and provides comfort when they feel most vulnerable.
Puppies often find having a comfort blanket helpful, something that smells like home that they can take with them while they’re getting used to different places. For example, you might use it in the car to calm them during travelling, or when they go on holiday or to a doggy day-care for the first time.
Since smaller dogs and puppies have a harder time staying warm, a quality blanket can help them to keep warm even during cold weather. A lot of small breeds (like my little chihuahua) like to burrow under their blanket, kind of like ‘tucking themselves in,’ to keep themselves warm and cosy.
Some blankets will have stimulating features for young puppies, such as attached toys to chew or a stuffed animal for extra comfort. This can help to get your pup’s mind working, keeping them busy and redirecting destructive behaviour.
Finally, a blanket can help to keep your furniture free of dog hair and dirt. If you have a puppy or an older dog who is prone to accidents, a waterproof blanket can function as a barrier to keep your home safe from accidents. You can even use blankets in the car to keep the seats clean.
Dog Blanket FAQ
Should dogs have blankets?
Yes, small dogs and puppies in particular can benefit greatly from a high-quality blanket.
Do dogs like soft blankets?
Yes, small dogs and puppies tend to love a soft blanket, finding it comforting, calming, and warm.
Do dogs need blankets in winter?
Small dogs are much more susceptible to the cold during winter, so it’s best to provide them with a blanket to help keep them warm.
A cosy, soft blanket can help your little pooch to stay warm, comfortable, and calm. After all, they’re our furbabies so we want them to be as comfy and happy as possible.