New Pup only recommends products that we’ve tested, or significantly researched . This page contains affiliate links, that at no additional cost to you, may earn a small commission for the site. Find out more here.
Best Medium Sized Dog Blankets
- Top Pick: FurHaven Pet Bed Blanket for Dogs
- Second best: furrybaby Premium Fluffy Fleece Dog Blanket
- Third best: PetFusion Premium Dog Blanket
- Recommended: Allisandro® Premium Fluffy Durable Dog Blanket
- Recommended: Nobleza – 6 x Dog Blanket
- Recommended: Waterproof Dog Blanket
- Recommended: HE&HA PET Outdoor Dog Blanket
Comparing the Best Medium Sized Dog Blankets
FurHaven Pet Bed Blanket for Dogs review
- Best self-warming dog blanket
- Inner thermal layer
- 2 soft sides
The FurHaven Pet Bed Blanket for Dogs should be at the top of your list if you’re looking for the best self-warming blanket. A thermal layer in the centre of the blanket reflects your pup’s heat back at them, keeping them toasty and warm in all weathers. This self-warming layer is sandwiched between 2 layers of soft fabric: 1 is soft terry fabric and the other is faux lambswool.
This blanket is even water repellent to stand up to any accidents and is great for preventing wet paws soaking through to the furniture after a muddy adventure. I loved how soft this blanket was and felt it was fairly durable. I appreciated that it could easily be machine washed when it got dirty.
- Most owners loved that this blanket was self-warming, saying it kept their dog warm even in cold weather
- Owners liked that the blanket was water-repellent, finding this very practical
- Owners found this blanket was durable, standing up to wear and washing well over time
- Many owners said this was their dog’s favourite blanket and they found it very relaxing
- Owners of dogs with joint pains and elderly dogs felt this blanket helped to soothe their dog’s aches and pains
- Owners typically felt this blanket was high-quality and were pleased with their purchase
- Most owners felt this blanket was very soft and comfortable for their dog
- Some owners felt the blanket wasn’t as warm for their dog as they expected it to be
- Inner thermal layer can be prone to bunching up during washing
- Some said the blanket didn’t wash well and became worn during the washing process
- The thermal layer can make a crinkling sound when the dog moves around, which some owners or dogs didn’t like
- Some found the blanket was too small for their large breed dog
- Not designed to stand up to chewing, with some owners finding their dog could chew through the blanket
Nobleza – 6 x Dog Blanket review
- Best pack of dog blankets
- 6 blankets in pack
- Soft polyester fabric
If you’re seeking the best pack of blankets for medium breed dogs, the Nobleza – 6 x Dog Blanket could be the best choice for you. The polyester fabric is durable but also soft for your best friend. They’re machine washable for convenient cleaning and they wear well during washing.
These are a great option if you have a multi-dog household or if you want your dog to have blankets in multiple places (such as the car, the living room, out on a walk, etc). I loved the pawprint design on these blankets, and I felt the pack was excellent value for money. You can even choose from three colours to suit your taste.
- Owners typically felt these blankets were good quality, mentioning they were soft and comfortable for their dog
- Owners felt the quality combined with getting 6 blankets in the pack made these blankets great value
- Many said the blankets were durable, mentioning they stood up to washing and wear well
- Owners of multiple dogs or those with litters of puppies found these blankets particularly useful
- Most owners were impressed with these blankets and were happy with their purchase
- Some found the blankets weren’t as good quality as they hoped
- Some owners, especially of large breed dogs, felt the blankets were too small for their dog
- Some mentioned the blankets were thinner than expected
- Some found their dog could chew up these blankets, and they felt they weren’t very durable
Waterproof Dog Blanket review
- Best waterproof dog blanket
- Waterproof coating
- 2 soft sides
This Waterproof Dog Blanket is a useful option for dogs who are prone to accidents or if you simply want to protect your furniture when your dog is wet and muddy. The blanket has a waterproof coating, preventing liquid leaking through the blanket. There are 2 very soft sides: 1 side of microfiber fleece and the other made from fluffy, sherpa lining.
I found this blanket was thick, warm, and cosy for my dogs, as well as being practical. It’s easy to pop in the washing machine when needed and is durable. You can choose from 3 colours and a range of sizes to suit your needs.
- Most owners found this blanket was waterproof and suited their needs
- Owners of dogs who are prone to accidents found this blanket very useful
- Most owners felt this blanket was thick, soft, and comfortable for their dog
- Owners found the blanket easy to wash and mentioned it wore well during washing
- Many owners found this blanket helped to protect their floor or furniture
- Owners generally felt this blanket was high-quality and said they would recommend it to others
- Some owners felt the blanket was too thin and wasn’t high-quality enough
- Some found the blanket wasn’t as waterproof as they expected and were disappointed with their purchase
- Some felt the price was too high and said this blanket wasn’t good value
- Some owners felt this blanket wasn’t durable, mentioning they didn’t feel it would last long
- Some owners said that the fluff on this blanket was prone to shedding
- Some found the blanket was smaller than they expected
HE&HA PET Outdoor Dog Blanket review
- Best outdoor and travel dog blanket
- Water repellent fabric bottom
- Soft top layer
It’s worth considering the HE&HA PET Outdoor Dog Blanket if you’re looking for the best outdoor and travel blanket for medium breed dogs. This blanket is perfect for active dogs, featuring a layer of highly durable, water repellent fabric topped with a soft layer of Sherpa material for your pup to lie on.
It comes with a bag that it folds up into, making it easy to carry on all sorts of outdoor or travelling adventures. I felt this blanket was practical, soft for my dogs to lie on, and perfect for days out hiking.
- Owners found this blanket was waterproof and provided a dry place for their dog to lie when outdoors
- Owners found this blanket extremely useful during outdoor adventures, when camping, and when travelling
- Many owners stated the carry bag made the blanket easy and convenient to transport
- Some owners said the blanket washed well and wore well over time
- Many stated that this blanket was high-quality and durable
- Some stated the blanket was a large enough for their medium or large breed dog to lie on comfortably
- Waterproof bottom can make blanket slide around depending on the surface it’s on, which some dogs or owners didn’t like
- Some found the blanket wasn’t waterproof enough, experiencing leakage from 1 side through to the other
- Some owners said the blanket wasn’t durable enough
- Some were disappointed with this blanket, saying it wasn’t high-quality
Dog Blanket for Medium Breed Dogs Buyer’s Guide
Things to Look for in a Dog Blanket for Medium Breeds
You can look for the factors below to help you choose the best dog blanket for medium breeds:
A blanket made from high-quality materials is more likely to be comfortable, cosy, and safe for your dog. Quality materials are more likely to stand up to wear over time, making the blanket last longer and giving you more for your money.
It’s important you choose a blanket that’s large enough for your medium sized dog to snuggle up in comfortably, or to lay on while being able to stretch out fully. It’s always best to read the exact measurements as well as the size guide to be sure. The reviews typically give a good indicator of whether a blanket runs true to size.
Depending on their breed and activity level, a lot of medium sized dogs are likely to be very active and be outdoors a lot. This means they’re far more likely to get their blanket dirty, bringing in mud and having wet paws. Of course, dogs also tend to get hair on their blankets and bedding too!
A blanket that’s easy to clean will make your life a lot easier. Most will be machine-washable for convenience. You can also check the reviews to see if they washed well and if they were easy to dry.
Comfortable for Your Dog
Soft, quality materials will ensure your dog is as comfortable as possible snuggled up in their blanket. If your dog already has blankets, think about the type of textures and materials they prefer to guide you.
Warm and Cosy
Choosing a thick, warm, cosy blanket can help to keep your dog warm in cold weather. This is especially important if you go travelling or if you live in areas where temperatures drop significantly.
As we mentioned earlier, a lot of medium breeds will be very active, so durability is crucial to ensure the blanket lasts over time. If your dog likes to dig to make their bed, drags their blanket around, or plays roughly with their blanket then this is even more important.
Look for quality, robust materials that are going to last well. If the description states a blanket is water repellent, shed-resistant, or chew-resistant, this is typically a good indicator of durability. You can also check for strong stitching and double layers which make a blanket stronger.
Some blankets may have extra features, like being self-warming, being waterproof, or having a waterproof bottom layer for outdoor use. Think about your dog’s lifestyle and your needs to figure out what’s best for you.
Blankets come in a range of colours, materials, and even patterns, so you can choose that something that suits your style.
Benefits of a Blanket for Your Dog
A nice, cosy blanket can have lots of benefits for your dog, including making them feel more secure, comforted, and relaxed. This can improve their sleep, allow them to feel safer and more at ease. A blanket tends to make a dog feel more settled in their home.
Blankets can help to keep your dog warmer during cold weather, which can be beneficial for most medium breeds. If you live in a cold climate or have winters that get particularly cold, this is especially useful.
If you go travelling with your dog, a blanket that smells like home can provide reassurance in unfamiliar surroundings and give them a place that feels safe to rest. If you go on long outdoor for adventures, for example all-day hikes, an outdoor blanket gives your pup somewhere to lie and rest when you stop for a break.
Blankets can be beneficial for you too! They can help to keep your furniture free of dog hair and dirt, and are typically easy to clean. If your dog struggles with accidents, a waterproof blanket can protect your furniture from leaks.
Dog Blanket FAQ
Should dogs have blankets?
A lot of people wonder whether medium breed dogs should have a blanket. The answer is yes! A blanket can be beneficial for them in many ways.
Do dogs like soft blankets?
Yes, most dogs love a soft blanket, finding it comfortable and reassuring.
Do dogs need blankets in winter?
Most medium breeds will need a blanket to keep them warm in winter, of course this depends on the breed, their coat, and where they live.
A high-quality blanket has many benefits for your dog, and even for you! You can rest assured that your dog is warm and comfortable, dreaming of all the adventures you’re going to go on together.