This article will help you to choose the best dog harness, as well as providing guidance on whether to choose a harness or collar.
New Pup only recommends products that we’ve tested, or significantly researched . This page contains affiliate links, that at no additional cost to you, may earn a small commission for the site. Find out more here.
Best Dog Harnesses
- Top Pick: Rabbitgoo Dog Harness
- Second best: Julius K9 Dog Harness
- Third best: ThinkPet Dog Harness
- Recommended: Rabbitgoo Tactical Dog Harness
- Recommended: Pawtitas Dog Harness
- Recommended: SlowTon Dog Car Harness
- Recommended: Anlitent Soft Mesh Dog Harness
Comparing the Best Dog Harnesses
In Depth Reviews of Our Recommended Harnesses
Rabbitgoo Dog Harness review
- Best no-pull harness
- Front ring to stop pulling
- Durable and comfortable
The Rabbitgoo No-Pull Dog Harness Padded Adjustable Pet Vest Harness is 1 of the best no-pull dog harnesses on the market, offering both control and durability. This harness has 2 lead rings, 1 on the front of the harness and 1 on the back, to give you the ultimate control. You can attach a lead to the front ring to allow you to redirect your dog’s attention when needed, aiding in preventing pulling.
I found that using a double lead attached to both lead rings at once allowed for greater control and distributed my dog’s weight evenly, which was more comfortable for both her and me during walks. There’s a handle on the back of the harness to give you even closer control when needed. This harness is made from durable, weather-resistant material, designed to last.
This harness isn’t just practical, it’s also very comfortable for your dog, featuring padded, breathable mesh material to prevent rubbing and keep your pup cool. Perhaps best of all for owners, it comes at a very reasonable price.
- 2 lead rings and handle offer plenty of control, even for bigger breeds who are still in training
- Most owners felt that the padding made the harness comfortable for their dog and reduced rubbing
- Owners found that the harness was generally durable and long-lasting, even when used regularly on all sorts of outdoor adventures
- Many owners felt that this harness was high-quality and well-made, as well as great value
- Many owners found that this harness helped to stop their dog pulling and allowed for quick corrections
- Straps can be a bit stiff at first, making the harness hard to adjust
- Some owners felt that the lead rings were too small, making them hard to find in low light or in a hurry
- Some owners with big breed dogs who pull consistently found that this harness was uncomfortable for their dog
- Some found the harness wasn’t as durable or high-quality as they expected
- Some owners found that the stitching on the harness came loose after a period of use
Julius K9 Dog Harness review
- Best harness with handle
- Sturdy handle for control
- Durable and reliable
If you’re on the hunt for the best harness with a handle, look no further than the Julius-K9, 162PM, K9-Powerharness. Well known for a reason among dog owners and professionals, this harness is highly durable, comfortable, and stylish. Offering a sturdy handle on top of the harness, you can control your dog in any situation.
This harness is made from highly durable, water repellent materials. A breathable inner liner and balanced weight distribution ensure your pup is comfortable on walks and that there’s no strain on their delicate neck area. I felt that this harness was both comfortable and practical for my dogs.
I liked the option to buy additional patches displaying any words I chose to add to the side of the harness. I felt this was both stylish and fun! This harness is on the middle-end of the price range, but given its features and high quality, I feel it’s well worth the price.
- Many owners found that this harness gave them more control and even helped to correct bad behaviours like pulling
- Owners enjoyed the wide colour selection, with many stating that the harness looked stylish on their dog
- Most owners felt that this harness was very durable, sturdy, and long-lasting, even for large or giant breed dogs who pull
- Lightweight and comfortable for dogs to wear, even on hot days or on long hikes
- High-quality and well-made, with some owners saying it was the best harness they had tried
- Crucial to measure your dog and look at the size guide very carefully, with some owners saying the sizing was confusing and ending up with the wrong sized harness for their dog
- Some owners found their dogs were able to wiggle or break out of this harness
- Some found that this harness didn’t help them to stop their dog pulling
- Some owners found that this harness wasn’t as high quality as they expected
- Some felt that this harness wasn’t comfortable for their dog
ThinkPet Dog Harness review
- Best sport harness
- Reflective and durable
- Offers control and comfort
The ThinkPet No Pull Breathable Sport Dog Harness is 1 of the best sport dog harnesses, with 2 sturdy metal D-rings for lead attachment. 1 ring is placed on the front of the harness for control and the other on the back, allowing you to adjust the lead position to suit your needs. I found that the additional handle provided extra control.
High-density nylon ensures durability while the reflective element increases safety in low light or darkness. Mesh lining and soft sponge padding ensure the harness is comfortable for your pup. I found this harness hard wearing no matter what outdoor adventures we went on.
This harness comes at a low price and I feel is great value for money given its durability and strength.
- Secure and safe, with owners saying it stopped their dog from wiggling out of their harness
- Many owners found that this harness gave them extra control and enabled them to stop bad behaviours like pulling
- Reflective strips offer extra safety on walks in darkness, also allowing owners to keep track of their dogs when they’re off lead
- Many said that this harness was comfortable and supportive for their dog, with owners of a variety of breeds saying it was a great fit for their dog
- Owners generally felt this harness was well made, durable, and sturdy
- Some owners found this harness didn’t give them enough control and didn’t help them to stop their dog pulling
- May not be strong enough for large breed dogs who aren’t well lead trained
- Some stated this harness wasn’t as high-quality as they expected
- Some felt that the harness wasn’t durable or sturdy enough, with some people experiencing breakage after a period of use
Rabbitgoo Tactical Dog Harness review
- Best working dog harness
- Extremely durable
- Offers security and control
If you have a working dog or are simply looking for a heavy-duty harness, the Rabbitgoo Black Tactical Dog Harness Vest Large with Handle is an excellent choice. Designed for police, military, and service dogs, this harness takes the form of a heavy-duty vest made from strong nylon with reinforced stitching. The side buckles are metal and designed to stand up to a lot of force to ensure your dog is safe in all situations.
A front and back loop along with the back handle offer plenty of control, while breathable mesh and padded pressure points offer comfort for your dog. A Molle attachment system on the side of the vest allows you to attach water bottles, pouches, and any other equipment you need. There’s plenty of space to attach your dog’s ID or badges if they’re a working dog.
I found this harness extremely durable and practical for bigger breed, active dogs. It’s slightly more pricey than other options but if you have a very active or working dog, I feel it’s well worth the investment.
- Most owners said that this harness was exceptionally high-quality, durable, and hard-wearing
- Owners found this harness gave them more control and helped to reduce pulling
- Owners of large and giant breed dogs who are very strong felt that this harness made walking their dog easier and more comfortable for both dog and owner
- Molle system is very useful to attach belongings, including trackers, lights, and pouches
- Many owners said that this was the best harness they had tried and therefore, they felt it was great value
- Some owners found that that harness moved and slipped around when their dog pulled, giving them less control
- Some owners found that the adjustment straps didn’t stay in place and kept coming loose on walks
- Some felt this harness wasn’t as good quality as they expected for the price
- Some found that the harness was prone to breakage, mentioning the clips in particular as a weak point
Pawtitas Dog Harness review
- Best step-in harness
- Stylish and durable
- Quick and easy attachment
The Pawtitas Pet Solid Color Step In Dog Harness is a fantastic step-in dog harness, providing convenience and style. Your dog simply steps into the harness, you fasten the clip on their back, and you’re ready to go! Made from 1 piece of high-quality, rip stop nylon which is folded and reinforced, this harness is designed to be exceptionally durable.
Black nickel hardware is included to enhance security and durability. I found this harness was comfortable for my dogs and offered enough control for my small breeds. I particularly liked the wide selection of colours so I could find a colour that suited each of my dogs.
This harness comes at an amazingly low price, making it a great budget option for dogs who are fairly well behaved on walks.
- Owners found that this harness was generally comfortable and lightweight for their dog and liked that it didn’t put pressure on their dog’s neck like other harnesses they had tried
- Even owners of medium breeds found this harness secure enough to keep their dog safe
- Quick and easy to adjust and put on your dog, which owners found convenient
- Owners of small breeds and puppies liked that they could get a size small enough to fit their dog perfectly
- Many owners felt that this harness was great value and good quality for the price
- Some owners found the sizing confusing and ended up with the wrong sized harness for their dog
- Gives less control than some other styles of harness, so isn’t suitable for dogs who aren’t well lead trained
- Harness can be confusing to fit at first, with some owners saying they wish instructions were included
- Some owners found that their dog could escape from this harness, which was a safety hazard
- Some felt that this harness wasn’t good quality, with some owners experiencing breakage after a period of use
SlowTon Dog Car Harness review
- Best dog car harness
- Harness and seatbelt connector
- Comfortable and safe
If you’re looking for the best dog car harness, the SlowTon Dog Car Harness Plus Connector Strap is the perfect choice. Double layered, breathable mesh fabric is durable and keeps your dog cool and comfortable on car journeys. 2 nickel-plated D rings offer a choice of lead connection to suit your needs.
I loved that this harness came with a matching seatbelt adapter to attach to the harness and secure my dog safely into the car. The seatbelt is adjustable so you can position your pooch comfortably and safely in their seat. I found that you can even use this harness to attach a regular lead for a quick walk.
This harness and seatbelt set come at a very low price, which in my opinion is an absolute bargain.
- Owners liked that this harness could be used both in the car and on walks, finding it very handy
- Many said that this harness was easy to adjust and get the right fit for their dog
- Owners felt this harness and connector helped to keep their dog safe on car journeys, giving them peace of mind
- Many owners felt that this harness and seatbelt deal was very affordable and great value
- Elastic section in the seatbelt enables dogs to turn around, lie down, and sit up comfortably in the car while still keeping them safely secured
- May not be strong and durable enough for large and giant breed dogs
- Some owners found the harness didn’t wear well and became worn after a period of regular use
- Some found the harness broke when their dog pulled, which they worried was a safety hazard
- Some owners felt that this harness wasn’t good quality and not durable enough
- Some found the sizing confusing, ending up with the wrong sized harness for their dog
Anlitent Soft Mesh Dog Harness review
- Best soft mesh dog harness
- Ultra-soft and breathable
- Cute and stylish
If you’re looking for a lightweight harness for a small to medium dog, the Soft Mesh Anti Pulling Harness and Lead Set is a great option. Shaped like a little vest, this lightweight, soft, breathable harness provides plenty of comfort for your best friend. Despite it being so soft, this harness is still designed to be reasonably durable, with high-quality material, double stitching, and 2 sturdy D rings for lead attachment.
I found that this harness was very comfortable for my chihuahua: it didn’t put pressure on her delicate neck, and I felt it looked stylish and cute. I loved that the harness came with a matching lead and had plenty of colour choices. Best of all this harness and lead set comes at a bargain price.
- Most owners felt that this harness was very soft and comfortable for their pet
- Owners found the harness easy to put on, adjust, and use
- Many owners felt that this harness was good quality and great value
- Owners generally felt this harness and lead set was very stylish and cute for their dog
- Owners of small breeds and puppies were pleased that they could find a harness that was small enough to fit their dog perfectly
- Reflective strip makes walks safer in low light or darkness, which owners felt was an added bonus
- Some found that their pet could escape from this harness, so wouldn’t recommend it for dogs who aren’t well lead trained
- Some found the sizing confusing and ended up with the wrong sized harness for their dog
- Not designed to be as sturdy as other styles of harness, with some owners feeling it didn’t give them enough control or provide enough security for their dog
- Some owners found the harness started to fray after a few weeks of use
- Some found the clasp on the lead wasn’t very strong and came open when their dog pulled
Dog Harness Buyer’s Guide
Things to Look for in a Dog Harness
When you’re looking for the best dog harness, keeping the following factors in mind will help you to make the best choice for your needs:
Choosing a harness made from high-quality materials will help with durability, ensure it wears well, and generally make sure your dog is getting the best.
Correct Size for Your Dog
It’s crucial you choose the right size harness for your dog. A harness that’s too big may allow your dog to escape, may rub, and is likely to give you less control. A harness that’s too small will be uncomfortable for your pup. Always follow the size guide for the harness carefully and take your time to measure your dog accurately.
Fit for Function
With so many types of harness on offer, you need to take your time to think about what the purpose of the harness will be. For example, if you want to train your dog and prevent pulling, a no-pull harness with extra features to help you control your pup will be best. If you’re often on outdoor adventures, a sport harness or hard-wearing harness will be best, and so on.
Comfort for Your Dog
It’s so important that your dog is comfortable in their harness since they’ll be wearing it a lot. Choosing the right fit plays a big part in their comfort, but you can also look for features such as padding, soft materials, and breathable mesh.
Choosing a durable harness will ensure it wears well and lasts longer. If you have a big, strong dog, durability becomes even more important. Look for durable materials and features such as reinforced stitching and metal hardware.
Many harnesses will offer additional features such as reflective elements, handles, or weather resistant material. Think about what will be handy for your lifestyle.
Choosing the best harness isn’t just about being practical, most of us also want our dogs to look stylish. Some harnesses will come in different colours or offer personalization features. Some owners prefer certain materials or types of harness because they feel it will look best on their dog.
Harness Vs Collars
Both harnesses and collars can be useful, and both have advantages, but which is best for you? If your dog is well trained, a collar may be suitable for your needs. If your dog pulls, a collar can put too much pressure on their sensitive neck area.
Some collars (such as headcollars) are designed to reduce neck pressure while increasing your control so you can correct negative behaviours. Some dogs, such as small dogs, brachycephalic breeds, and breeds with thin necks, have particularly sensitive necks so a collar may not be suitable for them.
Harnesses put pressure on your dog’s chest and body rather than their neck, which is often safer. If you’re doing lots of outdoors activities such as running, hiking, climbing or even just going on car rides, a harness is more suitable because it keeps your dog safe. Harnesses often have handles that offer extra control and allow you to lift your dog if needed, which can be beneficial if you’re very active.
However, some people find dogs who pull are harder to control on harnesses. It’s important you take your time to figure out what’s best for both you and your dog, balancing control for you and comfort for your dog. I personally use a double-ended lead with a harness and a headcollar with my spaniel, as I find that this gives me the control I need without putting too much pressure on her neck.
Dog Harness Safety Advice
Ensure your dog’s harness fits properly for their safety and comfort. It’s crucial the harness doesn’t put too much pressure on your dog’s throat, especially if they have a sensitive neck area or pull a lot. Don’t leave your dog’s harness on when they’re in a pen or crate, as it may get caught. It’s always best to remove a wet harness as soon as possible to prevent skin irritation or infection.
Dog Harness FAQ
What is the best style of harness?
This depends on your needs and lifestyle. For example, if you’re very active and outdoors a lot, a durable, weather-resistant harness will be best. If you have a small dog, a less sturdy, more stylish harness could be a good choice.
How do you measure your dog for a harness?
Always follow the manufacturer’s size guidelines and use a flexible measuring tape to measure your dog. Measure your dog while they’re standing as still as possible: this can be difficult, so I tend to measure 3 times and then take an average if I’m unsure. It’s always a good idea to look at reviews for guidance on size too.
The right dog harness can give you the control you need while keeping your best pal comfortable and safe. Before you know it, you’ll both be enjoying outdoor adventures together.