New Pup only recommends products that we’ve tested, or significantly researched . This page contains affiliate links, that at no additional cost to you, may earn a small commission for the site. Find out more here.
Best Dog Bowls
- Top Pick: Amazon Basics Stainless Steel Dog Bowl
- Second best: VIVAGLORY Puppy Dog Bowl
- Third best: Decyam Slow Feeder Dog Bowl
- Recommended: Bonza Collapsible Dog Bowl
- Recommended: Trixie TX2 Automatic Food Dispenser
- Recommended: Amazon Basics Water Feeder
- Recommended: SUPERDESIGN 15° Tilted Dog Bowl
- Recommended: The Dogit 2-in-1 Elevated Dog Bowl
- Recommended: Ellie-Bo Pair of Dog Bowls For Crates
- Recommended: Mason Cash Lettered Water Bowl
Comparing the Best Dog Bowls
In Depth Reviews of Our Recommended Bowls
Amazon Basics Stainless Steel Dog Bowl review
- Best stainless-steel bowl
- Durable and practical
- Dishwasher safe
The Amazon Basics Stainless Steel Dog Bowl, Pack of 2 are some of the best stainless-steel dog bowls, made from durable, high-quality stainless-steel. They’re rust-resistant and designed to last. Each bowl can hold up to 900 grams, making them perfect food or water.
I found that the rubber base prevents the bowls from sliding around too much and makes them less likely to tip over. I liked that the bowls could be put in the dishwasher for easy cleaning. You even get 2 in a pack which is great value and allows you to use 1 for food and 1 for water.
- Owners liked that these bowls were sturdy and didn’t slip around too much while their dog was eating or drinking
- Many said they liked that these bowls were very easy to clean and dishwasher safe
- Many owners said these bowls were great value for money given the quality, low price, and that you get 2 in a pack
- Owners appreciated that these bowls were large and could hold a good amount of food and water for their dog, especially those with large breeds
- Many found these bowls very durable, even with dogs who are very active or mischievous
- Most owners felt these bowls were made with high-quality material and were happy with their purchase
- Some owners found the bowls were larger than they expected, and consequently didn’t feel they would work for their dog
- Some found these bowls hard to fit in the dishwasher due to their shape and size
- Not completely tip-proof, with some owners of very playful dogs finding they could tip these bowls over
- Some found the non-slip, rubber bottom was prone to detaching or breakage
- Some felt these bowls weren’t as high-quality as they expected
VIVAGLORY Puppy Dog Bowl review
- Best food and water bowl set
- Non-slip, silicone mat
- Range of sizes available
If you’re looking for the best food and water dog bowl set, the VIVAGLORY Puppy Dog Bowl Stainless Steel Water and Food Bowls with Non-Spill Skid Resistant Silicone Mat is an excellent choice. 2 stainless-steel dog bowls are provided which fit into a food-grade silicone mat. The mat is great for catching spills and prevents the bowls from slipping around while your dog is eating or drinking.
I found these bowls were great for protecting our floor. I liked that the bowls came in a range of sizes to suit different breeds, and you could even choose a mat colour. The bowls separate from the mat and each part is dishwasher safe to make your life easier.
- Owners found the mat protected their floor and prevented spills, which they were very pleased about
- Bowls are fixed in place, which reduces spillage and prevents them being tipped over, as well as stopping them from sliding around while your dog is eating
- Owners appreciated that the bowls easily detached from the mat and both sections were very easy to clean
- Owners liked the choice of sizes, feeling they could find bowls that held enough food and water for their dog
- Many felt this bowl set looked stylish in the home, with some saying they liked the choice of mat colours
- Owners generally felt this set was high-quality, durable, and good value
- Some found the size guide misleading, ending up with the wrong sized bowls for their dog
- Some found the mat attracts dirt and crumbs, although mentioned it was easy to clean
- Not designed to stand up to chewing or rough play, with some owners finding their puppy could drag the mat around or chew it up
- Some found this set wasn’t as durable or sturdy as they expected, feeling it wasn’t strong enough for their dog
Decyam Slow Feeder Dog Bowl review
- Best slow feeder bowl
- Maze pattern for slower eating
- Great for your dog’s digestion
If your dog tends to gobble down their food, the Decyam Slow Feeder Dog Bowl is 1 of the best slow feeder dog bowls. Its maze design slows down your dog’s eating which is better for their digestion and overall health. The bowl is made from BPA-free and phthalate-free plastic, designed to be safe and highly durable.
Non-skid rubber feet on the bottom of the bowl prevent it sliding around while your dog eats. All 3 of my dogs have these bowls and we find them very helpful in slowing down their eating at mealtimes. They’re perfect for both dry and wet food and can be popped in the dishwasher for easy cleaning.
- Most owners found this bowl helped to slow down their dogs eating and improve their digestion
- Many said the bowl was stable and sturdy and didn’t tip over while their dog was eating
- Many found the bowl was easy to clean and appreciated that they could put it in the dishwasher
- Some found this bowl made mealtimes more stimulating and enriching for their dog
- Owners generally felt this bowl was high-quality and very useful, with some stating they would recommend it to others
- Some found they weren’t able to fit all of their dog’s food into this bowl, in particular, those with larger dogs
- Some found their dog wouldn’t eat from this bowl or found it too confusing
- Some owners of puppies stated their puppy would chew the bowl, in particular the raised plastic maze areas
- Some found the bowl moved around too much while their pet was eating, stating the anti-slip rubber areas didn’t work or became loose
- Bowl is plastic and lightweight, so some dogs were able to tip it over
Bonza Collapsible Dog Bowl review
- Best travel water bowl
- Lightweight with a clip
- Durable and practical
If you go on lots of adventures with your pup, the Bonza Collapsible Dog Bowl, Portable Dog Water Bowl could be a great choice. This is 1 of the best travel dog bowls, ensuring your dog always has access to water or food no matter where you are. It folds down for easy transportation and pops up easily for use.
This bowl is made from BPA-free plastic and is designed to be both durable and lightweight. I love this bowl for my dogs: we use it when we go hiking to ensure they’re always hydrated. It’s easy to use and very light to clip onto your bag or belt.
This bowl is dishwasher safe for easy cleaning after your exciting adventures.
- Many found this bowl extremely helpful to keep their dog hydrated when they were out and about
- Owners generally felt this bowl was good quality and reliable, especially when compared to other collapsible bowls they had tried
- Owners found the bowl easy to pop up and collapse, and many stated it was comfortable for their dog to drink from
- Many found this bowl was lightweight and the collapsible aspect made it very easy to carry
- Owners stated this bowl was big enough to hold a decent amount of water, even for large breed dogs
- In general, owners found this bowl easy to clean which they appreciated
- Some found this bowl wasn’t good quality and was prone to splitting or breakage
- Some felt this bowl wasn’t worth the price and were disappointed with their purchase
- Not designed for chewing, with some owners finding their dog’s teeth could easily puncture the plastic
Trixie TX2 Automatic Food Dispenser review
- Best automatic food bowl
- 48-hour timer
- Holds 2 meals
If you’re on the hunt for the best automatic dog food bowl, the Trixie TX2 Automatic Food Dispenser is an excellent choice. There are 2 sections for 2 meals, which can each hold 300 ml of food. A 48-hour timer allows you to programme the lid to be lifted to feed your dog.
The bowls themselves are made from plastic, and the system is powered by 2 aa mignon batteries. I liked that the bowls were easy to clean, and that unit had non-slip feet. I found this food dispenser durable and fairly easy to use.
- Owners generally found this feeder easy to set up and use, with many stating they found it very handy with keeping their dog fed on a regular schedule
- Many stated the feeder was sturdy, durable, and generally high-quality
- Owners mostly found their dogs were happy to use this feeder and could eat from it comfortably
- Owners liked that they could use both wet and dry food in this feeder
- Inner trays are easy to remove, making them very easy to clean
- Many said they felt this feeder was good value given its low price and high-quality
- Some found the mechanism on the feeder didn’t always work reliably
- Not designed to stand up to heavy chewing, with some owners finding their dog could chew and destroy this feeder
- Some owners experienced breakage after a period of use
- Some found the mechanism quite noisy, which they found annoying or felt made their dog wary of the feeder
- Some felt this feeder wasn’t high-quality and were disappointed with their purchase
Amazon Basics Water Feeder review
- Best automatic water bowl
- Can hold a gallon of water
- Easy to use
If you want the best automatic dog water bowl, the Amazon Basics Water Feeder is a fantastic choice. This water bowl uses gravity to provide a simple, yet effective way to ensure your dog always has access to water. The attached bottle can hold up to a gallon of water.
The bottle is made of transparent PET to allow you to keep an eye on water levels, and the bowl base is made from polypropylene. I found this water feeder handy and easy to use. I appreciated the non-skid rubber feet and found this bowl sturdy for my dogs.
- Owners generally felt this water dispenser was durable and made of high-quality materials
- Many said it was easy to fill the bottle up and attach it to the base
- Most owners found this water dispenser was sturdy and secure, with some stating it didn’t leak or tip over like others they had tried
- Many found this helped them to ensure their pet had access to clean water at all times
- Owners mostly felt this water dispenser worked well and was very convenient
- Many said this water dispenser was great value for money given its exceptionally low price and high-quality
- Some experienced breakage after a period of use, in particular mentioning the valve
- Some found the bottle section of this product hard to clean
- Some owners found the mechanism didn’t work for them and stated they would have preferred something more controlled
- Owners of large breeds may find the bowl is too small for their dog
- Some felt this water dispenser wasn’t as good quality as they would have liked
SUPERDESIGN 15° Tilted Dog Bowl review
- Best titled dog bowl
- 15-degree tilt
- Durable and practical
The SUPER DESIGN Mess Free 15° Slanted Bowl for Dogs and Cats is 1 of the best titled dog bowls, featuring a 15-degree tilt. This improves your dog’s digestion, reduces their chance of bloat, and is excellent for flat-faced breeds like the adorable french bulldog. The bowl is made from stainless-steel while the outer stand is constructed from melamine, designed to be highly durable and hard-wearing.
Rubber feet prevent this bowl from sliding around while your dog is eating. I particularly liked that the stainless-steel bowl comes out of the stand for easy filling and washing. Both sections can be popped in the dishwasher.
You can even choose from a range of colours and sizes so you can find the perfect bowl for your dog.
- Owners of flat-faced breeds found this bowl allowed their dog to eat comfortably and without help
- Many felt this bowl was very high-quality and were pleased with their purchase
- Non-slip and sturdy, with many owners finding the bowl didn’t move around or tip over when their dog was eating or drinking
- Owners of elderly dogs or those with additional health issues found this bowl helped their dog to eat in a more comfortable position
- Inner bowl can be removed which makes cleaning much easier
- Some owners felt this bowl looked very stylish in their home
- Some owners found their pet didn’t like this bowl and wouldn’t eat out of it
- Some found this bowl didn’t wash well when put in the dishwasher
- Some owners found the size guide misleading and ended up with a bowl that was too small or too large for their dog
- Several owners stated they felt this bowl was too expensive
- Some found the bowl didn’t stay in its holder well, mentioning issues with the silicone
The Dogit 2-in-1 Elevated Dog Bowl review
- Best elevated bowl
- Great for ingestion
- Easy to clean
The Dogit 2-in-1 Elevated Dish/Bowl, is an excellent choice if you need the best elevated dog bowl. This bowl can improve your dog’s ingestion and is excellent for those with additional health or mobility issues, making eating or drinking more comfortable for them. The inner stainless-steel bowl is hygienic, easy to clean, and can be removed for easy filling and cleaning.
The melamine stand is designed to be sturdy, practical, and anti-slip. I liked that this bowl was dishwasher-safe for convenience and appreciated the choice of sizes. I found this bowl easy to use and comfortable for my dogs to eat from.
- Taller dogs and those with additional health and mobility needs were able to eat or drink from this bowl comfortably, and owners felt it improved their digestion
- Many felt this bowl was excellent value for money given the low price and high quality
- Owners found this bowl was sturdy and didn’t move around too much while their dog was eating or drinking
- Easy to clean and can be put in the dishwasher which owners found very convenient
- Some owners found this bowl helped to slow down their dog’s eating and drinking
- Owners liked the bright colour and felt the bowl generally looked quite smart in the home
- Several owners found the sizing misleading and found that the bowl was too small for their dog, especially owners of large breeds
- Some found their dog could easily push this bowl around and therefore, felt it wasn’t sturdy enough
- Some found the bowl made a noise while their dog was eating, which was off-putting for both dog and owner
Ellie-Bo Pair of Dog Bowls For Crates review
- Best crate bowl
- Prevents mess in dog’s crate
- Convenient and easy to use
If you need the best crate dog bowl, the Ellie-Bo Pair of Dog Bowls For Crates, Cages or Pens are a great choice, allowing your dog to have access to food and water at all times. The holders attach easily to the bars of your dog’s crate or pen, and the inner bowls can then be taken in and out easily for cleaning and filling. A choice of sizes and colours is available so you can find the right match for your pup.
The inner bowls are made from high-quality, stainless-steel and I found they were durable. I loved that you got 2 in a pack: 1 for food and 1 for water. I found these bowls easy to attach and use, and felt they were very practical.
- Most owners found this bowl set very useful to attach to their dog’s crate or pen, including at home, during travel, and while on holiday
- Owners found these bowls reduced mess and spillage in their dog’s crate or pen
- In general, owners found these bowls easy to fit to their dog’s crate or pen and felt they were quite sturdy once attached
- Owners were pleased they could give their dog access to fresh water at all times without the mess
- Owners generally found these bowls good value as the price is affordable and you get 2 in a pack
- Some found the outer coloured bowl didn’t wear well when put in the dishwasher
- Some felt these bowls weren’t sturdy enough for their active dog or puppy, worrying they would knock them off their crate or pen when moving around
- Some felt these bowls weren’t high-quality or durable and were disappointed with their purchase
- Some experienced breakage after a short period of regular use
Mason Cash Lettered Water Bowl review
- Best ceramic dog bowl
- High-quality and heavy-duty
- Very durable
If you prefer the best ceramic dog bowl, the Mason Cash Lettered Water Bowl for Dogs, is a good choice. This bowl is deep, designed primarily for water to ensure your dog has a plentiful supply. The bowl is made from high-quality stoneware, making it durable, heavy-duty, and easy to clean.
The sturdiness of this bowl means it’s less likely to be tipped over or move around while your dog is drinking. I felt this bowl was very high-quality and practical. I appreciated that the material helped to keep my dog’s water cool, which they seemed to enjoy.
- Many owners felt this bowl was very high-quality and were pleased with their purchase
- Owners stated the bowl was very sturdy and didn’t tip over or move around
- Owners liked the large size of this bowl, allowing them to fill it with plenty of water so they didn’t need to refill their dog’s water as frequently
- Some stated the material of the bowl helped to keep their dog’s water cool
- Owners felt this bowl was a very reasonable price given its size and the high-quality materials
- Some owners felt this bowl looked smart and stylish in their home
- Since the bowl is quite big, it can also be heavy to lift and fill
- Some owners felt the bowl was too big for their small or medium breed dog, suggesting it would be more suited to large or giant breeds
- Due to the material of the bowl, it can be easily chipped or broken if not handled carefully
Dog Bowl Buyer’s Guide
Things to Look for in a Dog Bowl
When you’re looking for the best dog bowl for your best pal, consider the following to help you make the best choice:
Correct Size for Your Dog
The bowl should, of course, be the right size for your dog. A bowl that’s too small won’t hold all the food or water they need. However, a bowl that’s too big may be difficult for them to eat or drink out of, especially if it has high sides as they may struggle to reach the bottom.
Correct Type for Your Dog
It’s not just all about a traditional dog bowl anymore: there are so many types of bowl on the market. From titled and raised bowls to slow feeders and automatic feeders, the choice is endless. Take your time to figure out what will suit your dog’s needs best.
A bowl made from high-quality materials is more likely to last longer, be more durable, and generally ensure your dog is getting the best quality possible. Stainless-steel and ceramic bowls tend to be more hard-wearing, while plastic may be fairly durable and more lightweight.
It’s crucial to regularly clean your dog’s bowl, just like we clean our own plates and bowls. A bowl that’s easy to clean, for example, 1 that can be popped in the dishwasher, makes your life much easier.
The last thing you want is your dog’s bowl to be slipping around the floor while they’re trying to eat. This is frustrating for them, and makes more mess on your floor! Look for bowls with non-slip features such as rubber bottoms, bowls being fixed in place, or heavy-duty bowls.
You might want the bowl to look smart in your home. Some people prefer a specific material, finish, or colour of bowl to match their décor. With so many choices on the market, you’re bound to find something that suits your personal taste.
Dog Bowl FAQ
Are ceramic or metal bowls better for dogs?
Both have advantages: stainless-steel bowls tend to be more hygienic as they don’t hold onto bacteria as much as ceramic bowls. Ceramic bowls are more heavy-duty, which means they’re less likely to move around or tip over and may be more durable. If you choose a ceramic bowl, choose one made from high-quality, lead-free material.
Should your dog’s bowl be elevated?
Most dogs won’t need an elevated bowl. However, an elevated dog bowl can help with digestion and may be more comfortable for certain breeds. If your dog has mobility issues or additional health needs, an elevated bowl may be needed.
How much food and water does your dog need?
How much food and water your dog needs depends on so many factors including their breed, age, size, health, and activity level. Follow guidelines that come with their food and take your time to figure out what’s right for your pup. When it comes to water, it’s better to provide more than less if you’re unsure.
If you need help, it’s always a good idea to ask your vet. They can give you some guidance to help you tailor your dog’s diet to suit their individual health needs.
Where should you put your dog’s bowl?
Water should always be available to your dog, so their water bowl should go somewhere they have constant, easy access. Their food bowl should go near their water, so they can take a drink when needed. In general, a non-slip, easily cleaned surface is best.
Dog bowls are such an integral part of your dog’s life. Finding the right dog bowl for your pup will ensure they can eat and drink comfortably and safely.