New Pup only recommends products that we’ve tested, or significantly researched . This page contains affiliate links, that at no additional cost to you, may earn a small commission for the site. Find out more here.
Best Dog Coats
- Top Pick: Gooby Fleece Vest Dog Sweater
- Second best: Zellar Dog Raincoat
- Third best: Ancol Waterproof Dog Coat
- Recommended: SILD Dog Jeans Jacket
- Recommended: Rantow Reflective Dog Coat
- Recommended: Ectkuee Waterproof Dog Coat
- Recommended: Lovelonglong Dog Hooded Raincoat
- Recommended: Ruff and Tumble Dog Drying Coat
- Recommended: Petface Cooling Summer Dog Coat
Comparing the Best Dog Coats
In Depth Reviews of Our Recommended Coats
Gooby Fleece Vest Dog Sweater review
- Best fleece coat
- Warm and cosy
- Easy to pull on
If you’re looking for the best fleece dog coat to keep your dog warm in cool weather, the GOOBY Dog Fleece Vest is a perfect choice. Made with 100% polyester, this vest is designed to keep your dog warm and cosy on all your adventures. It’s designed to be both durable and practical, and can even be popped into the washing machine for easy cleaning.
I loved that this vest was a pullover, meaning I could just pop it over my dog’s head on the go quickly if the weather changed. I felt it was soft and warm for my dogs, and loved the wide range of colours to choose from (it meant it could get a different colour for each of my dogs).
There’s even a ring on the back of the vest to attach your lead for a quick potty break in cold weather, although this isn’t recommended for use if your dog is a puller. I found this feature handy for my small breeds when they needed to go outside for the toilet at night. This coat is available in a range of sizes to suit all breeds.
- Many owners said they loved this coat and felt it was both comfortable and stylish for their dogs
- Keeps dogs warm without being so heavy that they get overheated
- Owners liked the lead ring on the vest, allowing them to attach the lead for walks or attach their dog easily into the car
- Many owners loved the choice of colours, allowing them to choose something they felt suited their dog
- Most owners felt this coat was high-quality and generally stated it wore well over time
- Many said the coat was very affordable and good value considering the quality
- Some stated the colours didn’t bleed and stayed bright even when washing regularly, which they appreciated
- Some owners found the sizing misleading and couldn’t find the right size for their dog
- Fleece fabric isn’t very stretchy, which some owners found made it difficult to put the vest on their dog
- Some felt the coat was too tight for their dog and was uncomfortable for them to wear
- Some owners didn’t like that the coat was a pullover, rather than having a zip or other fastening
Zellar Dog Raincoat review
- Best raincoat
- 100% waterproof
- Light and breathable
If you want the best dog raincoat, the Zellar Dog Raincoat with Hood is an excellent choice, designed to be light and functional. This raincoat is made from 100% waterproof material with a breathable mesh lining. It can be easily wiped clean or put in the washing machine for your convenience.
I liked that this coat had a harness hole and found it easy to adjust to fit my spaniel correctly. She seemed comfortable in it, and it kept her dry even on rainy hikes. I found the pocket on the coat both cute and practical, allowing me to store some poop bags in there.
This coat even has reflective strips to make walks in low light safer. It’s available in 4 sizes to suit medium to large dogs.
- Owners found this coat kept their dog dry even on walks in the rain
- Breathable and light, with owners feeling the coat was comfortable for their dog to wear and didn’t make them too hot
- Owners liked the harness hole, saying it made it easy to attach the lead and kept the harness dry underneath
- Easy to fold up and store, which is great to take with you on walks or if you don’t have much room for storage at home
- Owners liked the reflective strips, feeling they were a handy addition to the coat
- Owners found the coat was easy to put on and was secure on their dog during use
- Most owners felt this coat was high-quality and great value for money
- Some found the size guide misleading and ended up with a coat that didn’t fit their dog correctly
- Some found the Velcro attachments didn’t stick together well, meaning the coat came loose during walks
- Some owners felt this coat wasn’t well made and experienced breakage, especially around the seams
- Some stated the coat moved around on their dog too much during walks, making it ineffective
- Some owners found this coat didn’t keep their dog dry enough in the rain
Ancol Waterproof Dog Coat review
- Best waterproof coat
- Fleece lining for warmth
- Stylish and practical
The Ancol Muddy Paws Stormguard Coat is 1 of the best waterproof dog coats, with a fully waterproof surface and inner fleece lining. It’s designed to be durable, keeping your dog warm and dry in all weathers. The neck and leg straps are elasticated to ensure your dog’s comfort on the move.
I found this coat kept my dog warm and dry and felt as though it was very comfortable for her to wear. It also looked extremely stylish. I appreciated the harness hole, allowing me to easily attach the lead even while she was wearing it.
This coat has reflective tape on the edging to make your dog more visible at night. It’s available in 3 sizes to suit small to large breeds.
- Owners generally found this kept their dog warm and dry, even on muddy wet walks
- Thick Velcro strap provides an adjustable fit, which owners felt helped the coat to fit perfectly to their dog
- Owners found the coat was easy to put on and take off their dog
- Many said they appreciated the hole to attach the lead to their dog’s harness or collar
- Owners stated the coat was soft and they felt it was comfortable for their dog to wear
- Owners generally felt this coat was high-quality and therefore, excellent value
- Many said they liked that their dog’s chest was covered by this coat, feeling it kept most of the mud off their pup on walks
- Most owners felt this coat looked very stylish and smart on their dog
- Some felt this coat wasn’t well-made, experiencing breakage after a period of use
- Some found the elastic leg bands were prone to riding up as their dog walked, which they felt was uncomfortable for their pup
- Some found the size guide misleading and couldn’t get the right size for their dog
- Some owners felt this coat wasn’t good quality and generally weren’t happy with their purchase
SILD Dog Jeans Jacket review
- Best stylish coat
- Range of colours
- Cosy and cute
If you prefer something that’s more stylish for your pampered pooch, the SILD Pet Clothes Dog Jeans Jacket Cool Blue Denim Coat is 1 of the best stylish dog coats. Made from high-quality denim and cotton, this coat is designed to be durable and warm. It’s available in a range of sizes to suit toy to medium dogs.
I found this coat was adorable for my chihuahua and she seemed to find it very comfortable. I loved the stylish addition of the hood and liked that it was available in a range of colours. It’s even easy to clean as you can pop it in the washing machine.
- Most owners felt this coat was extremely cute and stylish on their dog
- Owners found this coat was comfortable for their dog to wear, keeping them fairly warm but not over-heated
- Some stated the jacket was easy to put on their dog which they found convenient
- Many said they felt this jacket was made from high-quality materials
- Owners generally felt this jacket was good value for money
- No harness hole which can make attaching a lead for walks difficult
- Some owners felt this coat wasn’t very functional and was more for style, which they were disappointed about
- Some felt this coat wasn’t good quality or well made, with some people experiencing breakage after a period of use
- Some found the sizing misleading and got the wrong size for their dog
Rantow Reflective Dog Coat review
- Best reflective jacket
- Reflective strips and bright colours
- Warm and cosy
If you need the best reflective dog jacket to make those night time walks safer, the Rantow Reflective Dog Coat Winter Vest Loft Jacket should be at the top of your list. Featuring reflective strips and available in bright colours, this jacket is designed to ensure your dog can be seen! This jacket will keep your pup warm and can stand up to light showers.
I liked that there were 2 holes on the back, allowing me to attach the lead easily to my dog’s collar or harness. This jacket is machine washable for ease of cleaning. I felt it was very comfortable and practical for my dogs.
This jacket is available in a range of sizes to suit toy to large breeds. It’s available in a choice of bright, stylish colours.
- Most owners felt these coats were well made and high-quality
- Owners felt these coats were comfortable for their dog to wear and kept them warm
- Many said they liked the holes on the back of the coat, making it very easy to attach the lead to their dog’s harness or collar
- Many owners found this coat kept their dog dry in light rain or on muddy walks
- Owners liked that the coat was machine washable, with some stating it held up well during washing
- Owners appreciated the reflective strips, feeling it made walks at night safer
- Many felt this coat looked very stylish on their dog and they liked the choice of colours
- Not designed to stand up to heavy rain or long walks in the rain, with some owners finding it didn’t keep their dog dry enough
- Some found the Velcro attachments lost their grip after a while, meaning the coat didn’t stay securely closed
- Some felt this coat wasn’t good quality and experienced breakage or wear
- Some found the size guide inaccurate and ended up with the wrong sized coat for their dog
Ectkuee Waterproof Dog Coat review
- Best coat and harness in 1
- Waterproof and warm
- 2 D rings for lead attachment
If you’re on the hunt for the best dog coat and harness in 1, the Ectkuee Waterproof Dog Coat Jacket Warm Padded Puffer is a great option. With a waterproof outer layer and a soft lining, this coat is designed to keep your dog warm and dry. 2 D rings on the back of the coat allow you to attach a lead, creating a harness and coat in 1 handy outfit.
A wide range of sizes is available to suit most breeds. I love these coats: we’ve used them for years with my 2 small breeds and find them very handy for short walks or going out for a potty break. They’re comfortable, cosy, and easy to put on.
- Many owners loved this coat, saying it was high-quality and practical
- Owners liked that they didn’t have to use a harness with these coats, finding the attached D rings useful
- Owners generally felt this coat was comfortable for their dog, keeping them warm and dry in most weathers
- Many stated these coats are easy to clean, mentioning they could wipe them down easily or pop them in the washing machine
- Owners felt this coat looked stylish and very cute on their dog
- Many owners said this coat was great value for money and they would recommend it to others
- Several owners mentioned that the coat was easy to put on their dog
- Some found the size guide confusing and ended up with the wrong sized coat for their dog
- Some owners experienced breakage after a period of use, in particular mentioning the zip as a weak point
- D rings aren’t strong enough to stand up to pulling from medium or large breeds
- Some found these coats weren’t suitable for their male dog, finding they would pee on the coat accidentally due to its shape when going to the toilet
- Some found the coat wasn’t as waterproof as expected, especially in thick snow or heavy rain
Lovelonglong Dog Hooded Raincoat review
- Best dog onesie
- Waterproof and breathable
- Wide range of sizes
The Lovelonglong Dog Hooded Raincoat is 1 of the best dog onesie coats, made from waterproof polyester to keep your dog dry no matter where you go exploring. A belt and elasticated legs make it easy to fit comfortably to your dog. A wide range of sizes are available to suit toy to large breeds, so you can find the perfect fit for your pup.
I found this coat was stylish and comfortable for my dog to wear. It kept her dry and I found it was breathable, so she didn’t get too hot. I really appreciated that I could get a size to suit my spaniel, as not all dog onesies cater for larger dogs.
- Many owners found this coat kept their dog warm, dry, and clean even on muddy walks
- Many said they could find the perfect fit for their dog, even owners of breeds who have previously struggled to get a onesie that fitted correctly
- Breathable and lightweight, with owners saying it was very comfortable for their dog to wear
- Many owners said this coat was good quality and great value, stating they would recommend it to others or buy it again when needed
- Owners liked the adjustable belt, feeling they could fit the coat snugly to their dog
- Many said this coat looked cute and stylish on their dog and appreciated the choice of colours
- Some owners were confused by the size measurements and ended up with the wrong sized coat for their dog
- Some felt this coat wasn’t comfortable for their dog to wear, in particular mentioning the legs not fitting correctly or riding up
- Some found the coat was hard to put on their dog which they found off-putting
- Some felt the coat was too thin and therefore, felt it wasn’t warm enough for their dog
- Some found the coat wasn’t as waterproof as they expected, especially in heavy rain
Ruff and Tumble Dog Drying Coat review
- Best drying coat
- Easily dries your dog
- Comfortable and soft
The Ruff and Tumble Dog Drying Coat is 1 of the best dog drying coats, designed to dry your dog quickly and easily after wet walks or bath time. You simply fit the coat to your dog and the ultra-absorbent material does its work. This coat is durable, easy to clean, and comfortable for your dog.
I love these coats and have 1 for each of my dogs. They make bath time so much less stressful and ensure they’re all properly dried. They’re available in a range of sizes to suit all breeds.
- Owners found this coat quickly and efficiently dried their dog, making things easier for them, even owners of double-coated dogs who usually take a long time to dry
- Many owners mentioned this coat was handy after a wet walk, a swim, or after bath time
- Owners liked that this drying coat could cover their dog’s ears, unlike other drying coats they had tried
- Many said this coat was easy to adjust and fit snugly to their dog, ensuring it stayed on until they were dry
- Many felt this coat was excellent quality, making it good value for money
- Some felt the material wasn’t as high-quality as they would have liked
- Some found the Velcro would come undone, making the coat fall off their dog
- Some experienced breakage after a period of regular use
- Some found the sizing guide misleading and purchased the wrong size coat for their dog
Petface Cooling Summer Dog Coat review
- Best cool coat
- Keeps dogs cool in hot weather
- Comfortable and lightweight
The Petface Cooling Cool Summer Dog Coat is 1 of the best dog cool coats, designed to keep your dog cool and safe in hot weather. You simply wet the coat and put it on your dog when the sun is out, and you’re ready for some outdoor adventures. It’s lightweight, soft, and comfortable for your pooch.
This cool coat is available in a range of sizes to suit small to medium dogs. We use these coats in the summer and they are fantastic for keeping our dogs cool, even my springer spaniel who often struggles in the heat. They’re easy to put on and my dogs seem happy to wear them.
- Most owners found this coat helped to keep their dog cool in hot weather, even for breeds who usually struggle with the heat
- Owners found this coat easy to use and put on their dog
- Many said they felt this coat was comfortable for their dog to wear, and in fact, made them more comfortable in hot weather
- Owners generally found the fastening secure and stated it would stay securely on their dog on walks, even with active dogs
- Many said they would recommend this cool coat to others, feeling it was high-quality and very effective
- Some found the sizing guide misleading and couldn’t get the right size for their dog
- Some felt the coat dried out quite quickly during use which they found disappointing
- Some experienced breakage or wear after a period of use
- Some owners felt this coat wasn’t as high-quality as they expected
Dog Coat Buyer’s Guide
Things to Look for in a Dog Coat
When you’re looking for the best dog coat, it’s a good idea to look for the following:
Fit for Purpose
Of course, you want a coat that’s fit for your purpose. Some coats are waterproof, others are more stylish, some are reflective, and so on. Think about what will suit your dog’s lifestyle best.
A coat made from high-quality materials is likely to be more comfortable for your dog. It’s also likely to last longer and be more effective, especially if it’s a waterproof coat you’re looking for.
Correct Size for Your Dog
You should always measure your dog carefully and follow the product’s size guide to ensure you get the right fit for your dog. We all know it’s hard to make a dog stand still, so I like to measure 2 or 3 times to get the measurements as accurate as possible.
A durable coat is more likely to wear well and last longer, which is even more important if you go on lots of outdoor adventures and your dog is very active. Look for quality materials and other features such as reinforced stitching. It’s always a good idea to check the reviews for mentions of durability.
Ease of Cleaning
As an owner, you’ll know that dogs attract all sorts of mud and dirt. Choosing a coat that can be wiped clean or put in the washing machine makes your life easier.
Some coats will have additional features such as a hole to attach the lead to your dog’s harness or collar, reflective elements, or a D ring to attach the lead to. Keep a lookout for these features and think about whether they would be particularly useful for you.
Why A Dog Might Need A Coat
Many people wonder whether dogs really need coats given that their ancestors were able to survive outdoors. While this is true in some cases (for example, for large breeds with thick coats like Huskies) we’ve bred dogs to be our pets rather than to survive outside in all weathers, so some dogs do need coats. Let’s take a look at some reasons your dog might need a coat:
- Small and toy breeds: Most of these dogs are not able to retain body heat as well as larger dogs, and are often not bred to cope with very cold weather. They can struggle in the cold and wet.
- Lean breeds: Dogs who are thinner and don’t have much body fat to keep them warm, such as Greyhounds, need some extra help to stay warm.
- Dogs that are clipped: Dogs who regularly get their coat clipped very short don’t have their natural coat to protect them, so may need an extra layer.
- Senior dogs: Older dogs can struggle to keep themselves warm and may have additional health issues, so it’s important to keep them warm.
- Unwell dogs: Dogs who are injured or ill need to be kept warm to aid their recovery.
Aside from the practical reasons, some owners use coats to prevent their dogs from getting muddy, or simply because they look stylish. As long as your dog doesn’t mind wearing a coat, there’s absolutely no harm in this! Some coats, such as the drying and cooling coats we mentioned, have specific purposes, and can benefit all breeds.
Dog Coat FAQ
Should your dog wear a coat in the rain?
Some dogs should wear a coat in the rain, such as those in the categories we mentioned above, or if your dog is going to be out in the rain for prolonged periods.
The right coat can keep your dog warm, cosy, and comfortable, allowing you to explore the world together with no limits!