New Pup only recommends products that we’ve tested, or significantly researched . This page contains affiliate links, that at no additional cost to you, may earn a small commission for the site. Find out more here.
Best Large Dog Blankets
- Top Pick: FurHaven Pet Bed Blanket for Dogs
- Second best: PAWZ Road Pet Dog Blanket
- Third best: Zulay Giant Burrito Dog Blanket
- Recommended: PetFusion Premium Dog Blanket
- Recommended: Furhaven Pet Bed for Dogs
- Recommended: Nobleza – 6 x Large Washable Dog Blanket
- Recommended: Pawsse Waterproof Dog Blanket
- Recommended: Waterproof Dog Blanket
- Recommended: Microfibre Doggy Bag – Large
- Recommended: HE&HA PET Outdoor Dog Blanket
Comparing the Best Large Dog Blankets
FurHaven Pet Bed Blanket for Dogs review
- Best self-warming dog blanket
- Thermal layer
- Durable and water repellent
If you want the best self-warming blanket for large breeds, the FurHaven Pet Bed Blanket for Dogs is an excellent choice. This blanket has an inner thermal layer sandwiched between 2 layers of soft fabric: a terry fabric and a faux lambswool. The thermal layer reflects your dog’s heat, keeping them nice and warm.
It’s available in an extra-large size to suit most large breeds comfortably. It’s well-made and durable, designed to last over time. I loved that this blanket was machine washable and water repellent, perfect for active big dogs.
- Owners appreciated that this blanket was self-warming, with most owners stating they felt it helped to keep their dog much warmer than other blankets
- Owners liked that the blanket was water-repellent, finding this feature useful
- Most owners stated the blanket was high-quality, well-made, and durable
- Most owners felt the blanket was soft and comfortable for their dog, with many stating it was their dog’s favourite place to lie
- Owners of dogs with joint pain found this blanket helped to soothe their dog’s pain
- Some found the blanket wasn’t as warm as they expected it to be
- Some stated that the thermal layer bunched up or moved around during washing
- Not designed to stand up to chewing, with some owners finding their dog could chew up the blanket or rip it
- Some said the thermal layer crinkled as their dog moved around which they didn’t like
- Some owners found the sizing misleading, in particular stating the blanket ran small
PAWZ Road Pet Dog Blanket review
- Best fleece dog blanket
- Double-sided, ultra-soft fleece
- Polka dot pattern
The PAWZ Road Pet Dog Blanket is 1 of the best fleece dog blankets for large and giant breeds, available in large and extra-large sizes to ensure it’s big enough for your pup. It’s made from ultra-soft, plush, fleece material to provide your dog with luxury comfort. I loved that it has a cute polka dot pattern, which I felt looked really high-quality.
This blanket is durable, well-made, and machine washable for your convenience. It’s lightweight and breathable, so it can be used even in warmer weathers. I liked that you could choose from 4 cute colours to suit your pup’s personality.
- Owners typically found this blanket highly durable, with some even mentioning it had lasted months or years of regular use and washing
- Fleece material is very soft, with many owners saying they felt the blanket was comfortable for their dog
- Many said that this was their dog’s favourite blanket, and they would choose it as a place to sleep
- Owners liked the polka dot pattern of this blanket, feeling it was very cute for their dog
- Most owners felt the blanket was high-quality and were impressed with their purchased
- Some found the blanket was thinner than they expected, and they didn’t feel it was high-quality
- Some owners found the blanket was smaller than they expected
- Some stated the blanket didn’t wash or wear well over time
- Some found their dog could chew up or damage this blanket
- Several owners stated they felt the price was too high for this blanket
Zulay Giant Burrito Dog Blanket review
- Best novelty dog blanket
- Looks like a tortilla
- Giant size
If you have a fun sense of humour and like the idea of a novelty blanket, look no further than the Zulay (71 Inch) Giant Burrito Dog Blanket! It’s literally made to look like a tortilla, so your pup can snuggle up inside it and be a burrito. At a huge 71 inches, this blanket is big enough for all large and giant breeds.
Despite being a novelty blanket, it’s also high-quality, made from 280 gsm, ultra-soft flannel so it’s comfortable for your dog. I loved that it’s lightweight enough to be used during hot weather too, while still being cosy enough to keep your dog warm in cold weather. It can be machine washed and is designed so the pattern doesn’t fade during washing.
- Owners loved the novelty aspect of this blanket, in particular mentioning they liked that the pattern was on both sides unlike other similar blankets
- Many owners said this blanket was thicker and better quality than other similar blankets they’d tried
- Owners loved how big this blanket was, feeling there was plenty of room
- Many stated they were impressed with how soft and comfortable the blanket was
- Most owners felt the blanket was durable, with many mentioning it washed well
- Some found the blanket wasn’t as large as they expected and felt the sizing was misleading
- Some stated the blanket was too thin and weren’t happy with the quality
- Some owners felt the blanket wasn’t high-quality enough, especially for the price
- Some felt the blanket wasn’t well made or durable enough
Furhaven Pet Bed for Dogs review
- Best dog bed and blanket in 1
- Blanket attached to bed
- Soft sherpa lining
If your pup loves to burrow or snuggle up under a blanket, the Furhaven Memory Foam Pet Bed for Dogs is a great option for you. This is a blanket and bed in 1: the bed base is memory form to support your dog’s joints, while the top layer of the bed and inner layer of the blanket is a soft, sherpa material to provide the ultimate in comfort. The attached blanket can be left lying on the bed, or can be propped up with the provided hoop attachment to create a cosy cave.
The bed comes in a range of sizes suitable for most large breeds. I liked that the cover was removable and machine washable for easy cleaning. You can even choose from a range of cute colours.
- Many owners felt that this bed and blanket were high-quality, with some stating the bed was supportive
- Most owners felt this bed and blanket were comfortable and soft for their dog, especially for dogs that like to burrow or be covered with a blanket
- Owners typically felt the bed and blanket was cosy and kept their dog warm
- Many said their dog loved this bed and would choose it over other places to sleep in the home
- Owners liked the option to prop the blanket up creating a ‘cave’
- Some owners found that the blanket and bed were much thinner and not as high-quality as they expected
- Plastic hoop can be prone to falling over when bed is used as a ‘cave’
- Some owners found the sizing misleading, advising others to check the measurements carefully
- Several owners mentioned that the bed itself didn’t seem supportive enough
- Some felt the bed wasn’t durable and wouldn’t last over time
Nobleza – 6 x Large Washable Dog Blanket review
- Best pack of dog blankets
- 6 blankets in pack
- Durable and practical
The Nobleza – 6 x Large Washable Dog Blanket are 1 of the best packs of dog blankets for large breeds, available in 2 large sizes to suit most large breeds. You get 6 blankets in the pack for a very reasonable price, which I felt made them excellent value. The blankets are soft and durable, made from a polyester fabric.
They have a pawprint design and come in a choice of 3 colours. The blankets are thin but designed to last over time, as they’re shed resistant and have strong seams. I felt they were very practical and handy, especially for owners with multiple dogs (like me).
- Owners loved that they got 6 blankets in this pack, feeling it was excellent value
- Many owners said the blankets were soft and comfortable for their pup
- Many owners felt these blankets were high-quality and would last well over time
- Owners found the blankets were easy to wash and dry
- Owners of multiple dogs or those with litters of puppies in particular found this pack of blankets useful
- Some found the blankets were smaller than they expected and said they weren’t big enough for their dog
- Blankets are quite thin which some owners didn’t like
- Some said the blankets weren’t as high-quality as they expected, and therefore they didn’t feel they were good value
- Not designed to stand up to chewing or rough play, which some owners found problematic
Pawsse Waterproof Dog Blanket review
- Best waterproof dog blanket
- Internal waterproof layer
- 2 soft sides
If you’re on the hunt for the best waterproof dog blanket, the Pawsse Waterproof Dog Blanket is a great option. It’s available in a very large size, suitable for all large and giant breeds. The internal waterproof layer ensures no liquid gets through from one side to the other, making it a great option for those with dogs prone to accidents or for very active dogs with muddy, wet paws.
Despite being waterproof, the blanket is also very soft, with 1 micro-fleece side and 1 cotton side. It’s easily washed on a gentle cycle and is very durable. I liked that this blanket could be used as a throw to protect furniture, as well as a blanket to keep my dog comfortable.
- Most owners were impressed with how waterproof this blanket was
- Owners found the blanket was soft and comfortable for their dog
- Many mentioned that this blanket was highly durable, washing well and lasting well for months and even years
- Most owners felt the blanket was worth the price given it’s high-quality
- Owners found the blanket practical to protect their furniture, especially for those with dogs prone to accidents, large active breeds, or breeds who drool
- Some experienced leakage, stating that the blanket wasn’t waterproof enough
- Since the blanket is large and thick, it can be difficult to wash and get dry
- Some owners found the blanket sheds and they felt it wasn’t as high-quality as they expected
- Some felt the price was too high for this blanket
Waterproof Dog Blanket review
- Best affordable waterproof dog blanket
- Affordable price but high-quality
- Waterproof coating
If you want a waterproof dog blanket but you’re on a budget, this Waterproof Dog Blanket could be the best option for you. This blanket is available in 2 large sizes to suit most large and giant breeds. The waterproof coating prevents liquid leaking from 1 side to the other, making it very practical.
The blanket has 2 soft sides: 1 is microfibre fleece and the other is a soft sherpa, both of which are very comfortable for your pup. It can be washed a cold setting for easy cleaning and is highly durable. I liked how soft this blanket was, and appreciated the choice of 3 colours.
- Most owners found that this blanket was waterproof and prevented leaks
- Owners found this blanket helped to protect their floor or furniture, which was especially useful for dogs prone to accidents, those who drool, and large active breeds who track mud and damp into the home
- Owners generally found the blanket was soft, thick, and very comfortable for their dog
- Many owners found the blanket easy to wash and stated it was durable
- Most owners felt the blanket was high-quality and great value for the price
- Some found the blanket wasn’t waterproof enough and said it let some liquid through
- Some felt the blanket wasn’t as high-quality as expected, in particular mentioning it was thinner than they hoped and prone to shedding
- Some felt the price was too high and stated the blanket wasn’t good value
- Some owners found the sizing misleading and got a blanket too small for their dog
- Some owners mentioned they didn’t think the blanket was very durable
Microfibre Doggy Bag – Large review
- Best wearable dog blanket
- Absorbs water quickly
- Keeps dog warm and dry
The Microfibre Doggy Bag – Large is a wearable dog blanket, designed to keep your pup warm and help them to dry off after an outdoor adventure or after bath time. The microfibre material absorbs up to 10 times more water than a towel, and it saves you time trying to towel dry your pup. Available in 2 large sizes, this wearable blanket will fit most large and giant breeds comfortably.
I loved that this product was so practical and easy to use, especially when on car journeys home from a muddy or wet adventure! It even keeps your car seats dry and clean, and can just be popped in the washing machine when you get home. It comes with a little carry bag to make it easy to take with you anywhere you go.
- Most owners found that this wearable blanket made drying their dog much easier and quicker, especially for large breeds, active dogs, and working dogs
- Owners found this product simple and easy to use, with some owners even being surprised with how effective it was
- Many said it was easy to get their dog used to this doggy bag, and they felt it was comfortable for their pup
- Helps to keep the car or furniture clean after a muddy walk, which owners found really handy
- Many owners said this product was durable, high-quality, and they would recommend it to others
- Dogs can’t move around while wearing this product, which some owners didn’t like
- Some found it hard to get their dog used to being inside this bag
- Some owners said it didn’t get their dog as dry as they expected
- Despite being practical, some owners felt this product wasn’t worth the investment given the high price
HE&HA PET Outdoor Dog Blanket review
- Best outdoor and travel blanket
- Water repellent bottom layer
- Soft, comfortable top layer
Since large dogs are typically very active, it can be useful to have an outdoor blanket and the HE&HA PET Outdoor Dog Blanket is a great choice. A layer of durable water repellent fabric prevents damp and cold from the floor reaching your dog, while a soft top layer of sherpa material gives your dog somewhere comfy to lie. The handy carry bag makes it easy to take with you on all your travels.
It can be machine washed in cold water and is quick to dry. I loved how practical this blanket was and felt it was high-quality. You can even use it to keep your car seats dry after a wet walk, or to protect your furniture.
- Owners found this product was waterproof and very effective at giving their dog somewhere to lie outdoors, or protecting car seats and furniture
- Carry bag makes the blanket easy to carry and travel with which owners appreciated
- Owners liked that this blanket was large enough for their large breed to lie on comfortably
- Many felt the soft side of the blanket was comfortable for their dog to lie on
- Some found the blanket wasn’t as waterproof as they expected, stating it allowed moisture through to the soft side of the blanket
- Some said the blanket was smaller than they expected and was too small for their dog to lie on stretched out
- Some stated the blanket wasn’t as durable or high-quality as they hoped
- Waterproof underneath layer can be prone to sliding around when dog moves depending on the surface it’s used on
Dog Blanket for Large and Giant Breeds Buyer’s Guide
Things to Look for in a Dog Blanket for Large and Giant Breeds
When you’re on the hunt for the best dog blanket for large and giant breeds, you can look for the following:
A blanket made from high-quality materials is key to ensuring the blanket is comfortable, safe, and practical for your dog. Quality materials make a blanket more likely to wear well over time and are likely to stay softer even with washing and regular use.
Getting a blanket big enough for your large or giant breed dog can be difficult, as many blankets don’t have a wide enough size range. Take your time to measure your dog or their existing beds and blankets, comparing the measurements carefully to the size guide. Check the exact measurements of the blanket you’re considering to ensure it will be large enough for your pooch.
It’s always worthwhile checking the reviews, especially from owners of dogs who are a similar size to yours. Some reviews may even include pictures so you can get a clearer idea of whether the blanket will be suitable for your dog.
Large and giant breeds are more likely to be active, which means they’re more likely to bring dirt, mud, and moisture into the house. They’re also more likely to drool and shed more hair. A blanket that’s easy to clean will make your life easier, saving you time and effort.
Most blankets will be machine washable, but it’s worth double checking this to be sure. You can also check the reviews to see if people found the blanket easy to wash and dry. Reviews can give you an idea of whether the blanket stays in good condition with regular washing.
Comfortable for Your Dog
Of course, the main purpose of the blanket is to provide extra comfort for your furbaby. The right sized blanket along with soft, quality materials are key here.
As well as being more likely to get their blanket dirty, a large or giant breed is stronger and so more likely to put their blanket through some rough wear. Durability is essential to ensure the blanket stands up to wear over time and gives you value for money. Check for quality materials, strong seams and stitching, and other indicators of durability such as being waterproof or water repellent, bite resistant, and shed resistant.
Some blankets might offer additional features, such as being waterproof, being self-warming, or being wearable to help you dry your dog! Think about what will work best for your dog’s lifestyle.
Blankets come in a range of material types, colours, and patterns, so take your time to think about which style you prefer and what fits in with your home.
Benefits of a Blanket for Your Dog
People often wonder whether a large or giant breed dog really needs a blanket, but the truth is that there are lots of benefits of a blanket for your dog regardless of their size! The simplest benefit is that a blanket can make your dog feel more comfortable, allowing them to rest, relax, and ever sleep better.
A blanket can be like a comfort item for your dog, something that feels familiar and is reassuring. Taking a blanket that smells like home travelling, in the car, or to any new place, can be calming for your dog and lets them know they’re safe.
When you’re on outdoor adventures, an outdoor dog blanket can be a handy, comfortable place for your dog to rest. While not all large and giant breeds will need a blanket to keep them warm, some can benefit from the extra warmth depending on the breed and the weather conditions.
Finally, a blanket can help to protect your car seats and the furniture in your home, providing a barrier to protect from dog hair, dirt, and drool. Blankets can usually be popped in the washing machine when needed, making keeping your home clean much easier.
Dog Blanket FAQ
Should dogs have blankets?
Yes: despite their size, large and giant breeds can benefit greatly from a blanket.
Do dogs like soft blankets?
Most dogs (even big dogs) will enjoy a soft, comfortable blanket.
Do big dogs need blankets in winter?
Not all large and giant breeds will need a blanket to keep them warm, but some will. This depends on their breed, their coat thickness, their age, and the climate they live in.
No matter how big they are, they’re still our whole world and we naturally want to make sure they have everything they need to be comfortable and happy. A fluffy blanket can have so many benefits for you and your pup.