New Pup only recommends products that we’ve tested, or significantly researched . This page contains affiliate links, that at no additional cost to you, may earn a small commission for the site. Find out more here.
Best Dog Collars
- Top Pick: Taglory Reflective Nylon Dog Collar
- Second best: Illumiseen LED Dog Collar
- Third best: Halti Dog Head Collar
- Recommended: Black Rhino Padded Dog Collar
- Recommended: Hyhug Strong Nylon Dog Collar
- Recommended: Grand Line Adjustable Dog Collar
- Recommended: ADAPTIL Dog Collar
- Recommended: Toldi Flea Dog Collar
Comparing the Best Dog Collars
In Depth Reviews of Our Recommended Collars
Taglory Reflective Nylon Dog Collar review
- Best standard collar
- Strong and durable
- Padded for comfort
If you’re looking for a traditional, standard collar for walks, the Taglory Reflective Nylon Dog Collar with Safety Buckle is an excellent choice. Made from high-quality, strong nylon with high-density webbing, it’s designed to be strong and durable. This collar is neoprene padded to prevent rubbing and ensure your dog is comfortable.
I found that this collar was very comfortable for my dog. I liked the wide colour choice and loved the option to purchase a matching lead, feeling it was both stylish and practical.
- Soft, padded layer ensures the collar doesn’t rub on your dog’s neck, with owners saying they felt it was generally comfortable for their dog
- Owners loved the colour choice and option to buy a matching a lead, with many saying they felt it was very stylish for their dog
- Reflective stitching allows owners to keep track of off-lead dogs at night and makes walks in low light safer
- Many mentioned that the collar was easy to adjust and fit to their dog
- Many owners stated they felt this collar was great value for money given its low price and high quality
- Owners generally felt the collar was sturdy and durable, even standing up to dogs who pull a lot on walks
- Some owners found the collar wasn’t as high quality as they expected
- Some experienced wear or breakage after a period of regular use, in particular mentioning the plastic fittings as a weak point
- Can be stiff at first which can make the collar hard to adjust initially, with some owners worrying this would also make it uncomfortable for their dog
- Some found the size guide confusing and ended up with the wrong sized collar for their dog
- Some owners found the fitting and adjustment of the collar confusing at first
Illumiseen LED Dog Collar review
- Best LED collar
- Highly visible
- Makes walks safer
If you need the best LED dog collar, the Illumiseen LED Dog Collar should be at the top of your list. With 360-degree visibility and 3 light modes, this collar will ensure your dog is always visible in low light or darkness. The collar is USB rechargeable and lasts up to 5 hours per 1 hour of charging.
You can use this collar in addition to your dog’s regular collar, or can use the D ring to attach a lead. I found this collar highly visible from a great distance, making walks at night much safer. I felt it was well made, high-quality, and comfortable for my dog.
- Owners liked that they could see their dog from every angle, making it easier to keep track of them in the dark and making walks safer
- Owners generally felt the battery life was good, with the collar staying lit for long periods without charging
- Multiple settings on the collar allow for increased visibility and allow you to figure out what suits your needs
- Many said that the collar was very bright and able to be seen easily from far away
- Easy to charge with a USB port, with owners mentioning it charged quite quickly
- Durable and hard-wearing, with owners finding it stood up to all sorts of outdoor adventures including getting wet
- Some owners found the size guide misleading and ended up with the wrong sized collar for their dog
- Some found the collar became faulty and would no longer light up or charge after a period of regular use
- Some felt it was too large and chunky for their smaller breed dog, feeling it wasn’t very comfortable for them
- Hole for charger is not fully covered, which some owners worried would cause problems when the collar got wet or muddy
- Some owners felt the collar wasn’t good quality and were disappointed with their purchase
Halti Dog Head Collar review
- Best headcollar
- Allows for control during training
- Comfortable and durable
The Halti Head Collar is the best headcollar on the market, providing plenty of control, especially during training. It goes over your dog’s nose and around their neck, allowing you to direct them from their head for the ultimate control. This headcollar is well known and recommended by dog trainers and vets for correcting negative behaviours like pulling.
Your dog can pant, eat, drink, and breathe comfortably while wearing this headcollar. Made from high-quality materials, it’s designed to be durable, with a padded noseband for comfort. I’ve used this headcollar for years with my spaniel and find it’s comfortable, easy to use, and very effective during training.
- Most owners found this collar gave them more control, aiding them in stopping negative behaviours like pulling and making walks more enjoyable for both dog and owner
- Collar makes gentle, efficient corrections easy and is very useful during training
- Many owners felt this was headcollar was excellent value for money, mentioning its low price
- Owners generally felt this collar was comfortable for their dog, especially when fitted correctly
- Generally durable and will stand up to regular wear, even with active dogs
- Many owners said this headcollar was life changing and that they wouldn’t be without it
- A period of training and adjustment is crucial when first using this collar, with some owners finding their dog would try to remove the headcollar at first
- Some found the sizing confusing and got the wrong size for their dog
- Some found this collar didn’t help them to stop their dog pulling on the lead
- Some experienced wear or breakage after a period of regular use
- Some owners felt their dogs weren’t happy or comfortable wearing this collar on walks
Black Rhino Padded Dog Collar review
- Best heavy-duty collar
- Very robust for strong dogs
- Lightweight and comfortable
The Black Rhino – Ultra Soft, Neoprene, Padded Dog Collar is 1 of the best heavy-duty collars, providing control and strength for very active, energetic dogs. Made from high-quality materials, this collar is designed to be highly durable and hard-wearing. Neoprene padding prevents rubbing and ensures the collar is comfortable for your best pal.
I found this collar surprisingly lightweight despite how robust it is. I liked the reflective stitching and appreciated the additional option of a matching lead.
- Most owners stated that this collar was sturdy and strong, standing up to even large breed dogs who had previously broken other collars
- Many said the padding provides plenty of comfort their dog and prevents rubbing
- Owners stated the collar was comfortable to hold onto when they needed extra control over their dog
- Collar wears well, with owners saying it stood up to all sorts of outdoor adventures and even light chewing
- Many were impressed with the quality of this collar, especially given its affordable price
- Some owners didn’t like the company’s logo on the collar, stating they would have preferred the logo was smaller or not included at all
- Some found the collar wasn’t comfortable for their dog, in particular mentioning the collar being too thick and heavy especially in hot weather
- Buckle can be stiff and a bit difficult to use at first, which some owners found frustrating
- Some owners found the collar wasn’t as padded as they expected
- Some found the collar didn’t stand up to wear as well as they hoped
Hyhug Strong Nylon Dog Collar review
- Best martingale collar
- Durable and strong
- Helpful for training
The Hyhug Strong Nylon Non – Escape Martingale Dog Collar is 1 of the best martingale collars on the market, allowing for plenty of control. The collar’s design means it tightens gently when your dog pulls and loosens when they stop, allowing for efficient corrections during training. High-quality nylon, reinforced stitching and the width of the collar ensure it’s sturdy and durable.
The material is folded over at the sewing joints to reduce rubbing and ensure the collar is comfortable for your dog. I found the collar easy to slip on and off my dog’s neck. I felt it was helpful during training, and enjoyed the wide range of colour choices.
- Many owners found this collar gave them more control and helped them control negative behaviours like pulling
- Owners found this collar easy to slip over their dog’s head and easy to use
- Prevents dogs escaping their collar on walks, keeping them safely under control
- Many owners stated they loved the colour choice of these collars, feeling the colour they chose looked stylish on their dog
- Many said the collar was durable and strong, standing up to wear over time even with big, strong breeds like German Shepherds and Huskies
- Most owners said they felt this collar was comfortable for their dog to wear
- Not safe to be left on your dog when they are unsupervised, although it’s always recommended you remove any collar when your dog is alone
- Some owners found it didn’t help them to stop their dog pulling on the lead and felt it was uncomfortable for their dog
- Some experienced breakage or wear and tear after a period of use
- Some found the collar’s colour transferred onto their dog’s coat, particularly those with light coloured dogs
- Some found the collar was not as high-quality as they expected
Grand Line Adjustable Dog Collar review
- Best leather collar
- High-quality leather
- Comfortable and durable
The Grand Line Adjustable Dog Collar of Neoprene Padded Leather is 1 of the best leather dog collars available. The outer layer is made with high-quality leather and an inner layer of neoprene provides extra durability. This soft, flexible leather is designed to be very comfortable for your pooch.
I found that this collar was high-quality and great for walks or simply as a stylish addition to attach my dog’s tag. It’s even available in 3 colours so you can find something to suit your pup’s personality.
- Soft and flexible, with most owners saying they felt this collar was very comfortable for their dogs
- Owners liked the additional ring to attach their dog’s tag
- Many said this collar looked very stylish on their dog and enjoyed the choice of colours
- Owners generally felt this collar was high quality and durable, with many saying they felt it was great value for money
- Comes with a hole punch tool in case you need to add any extra holes for the perfect fit
- Has imprinted writing of the brand, which some owners felt spoilt the look of the collar
- Some found the collar didn’t wear well or broke after a period of use
- Some owners found the size guide misleading and ended up with the wrong sized collar
- Some felt this collar wasn’t good quality and therefore, felt it wasn’t good value
- The leather can have a strong chemical smell at first, which some owners found concerning
ADAPTIL Dog Collar review
- Best calming collar
- Natural calming option
- Comfortable and effective
If you’re looking for the best calming dog collar for your anxious pup, the ADAPTIL Calm On-the-Go Collar is an excellent choice. This collar isn’t designed to be used as a traditional collar, but rather as an addition to help your dog deal with situations that make them nervous. A synthetic copy of a pheromone released by a dog’s mother to calm her litter is released while your dog is wearing this collar, mimicking the calming effect.
This collar is a natural calming option and has proven results. I found this collar was comfortable for my dog to wear and was useful during fireworks season.
- Many owners found this collar really helped to calm their dog’s anxiety, with many saying the effect was life changing
- Many said they paired this collar with positive reinforcement, and it had long-lasting results
- Owners generally felt this collar was comfortable for their dog to wear
- Easy to cut and adjust to fit your dog’s neck perfectly
- Many said they preferred this natural alternative to calming medications
- Many owners said this collar was well worth the money, given the calming effect it had on their dog
- Some found the collar irritated their dog’s skin, in particular, those with allergies or sensitive skin
- Only lasts 4 weeks of use, so if you want to use the product daily rather than just for a specific event, you need to repurchase monthly
- Some found this collar didn’t have the desired calming effect on their dog
- Some found it hard to adjust the collar to the right size for their dog
Toldi Flea Dog Collar review
- Best flea collar
- Natural ingredients
- Comfortable and flexible
The Toldi Flea-Treatment-for-Dogs, Adjustable Flea-Collar is 1 of the best flea collars, offering up to 8 months of protection against fleas and ticks. This collar isn’t designed to attach a lead to, instead it’s an addition to your dog’s usual collar to keep them pest-free. I liked that this flea collar uses natural ingredients rather than harsh chemicals.
The collar is designed to be durable and is even waterproof, so your dog can wear it on all of your adventures. I found it was flexible and comfortable around my dog’s neck, and liked that it was adjustable so I could get the exact right fit for my pup.
- Most owners found this collar effective in the treatment and prevention of fleas and ticks
- Many felt this was a more affordable alternative to monthly flea prevention treatments
- Water-resistant, with many owners saying the collar kept working even in wet weather or when their dog went swimming
- Owners felt the collar was generally comfortable for their dog to wear and easy to adjust
- Owners liked that the collar used natural ingredients and had a pleasant lavender smell
- Some owners found this collar wasn’t as effective as other treatments they had tried
- Some found this collar wasn’t comfortable for their dog, with some dogs finding the ingredients irritating
- Some found the collar stopped working after it got wet or after a period of wear
- Some felt this collar wasn’t good value for money as it didn’t work for their dog
Dog Collar Buyer’s Guide
Things to Look for in a Dog Collar
When you’re looking for the best dog collar, it’s a good idea to look for the following:
Fit for Purpose
There are a wide variety of dog collars with different purposes and of course, you want to make sure you get a collar that’s fit for your purpose. For example, there are collars to display ID tags, collars for walking your dog, and collars with specific purposes such as flea collars.
Choosing a collar made from high-quality materials ensures your dog is getting the best and means the collar is likely to last longer.
Material quality plays a significant part in how durable a dog collar is. You can also keep an eye out for other factors such as collar thickness and reinforced stitching.
Control for You
If you’re going to be using the collar to walk your dog, think about how much control you need. If you need a lot of control for training, a headcollar or martingale collar may be better. If your dog is generally well lead trained, a traditional collar may be more suitable.
Comfort for Your Dog
Your dog will likely be wearing their collar a lot, so it’s important they feel comfortable. Look for comfortable, flexible materials, and consider factors like breathability and padding.
Correct Size for Your Dog
It’s crucial you choose a collar that’s the right size for your dog to ensure their comfort and safety. Follow the manufacturer’s size guide and measure your dog’s neck carefully. The collar should be loose enough that you can fit 2 fingers between the collar and your dog’s neck, but not so loose that it will fall off.
If your dog is wearing the collar a lot when you’re out and about, you will likely want it to be stylish as well as practical. Think about which materials and colours you prefer and what you feel will look best on your dog.
Which Is Best For Your Dog: Collar or Harness?
For walking your dog, both collars and harnesses have their advantages. In general, if your dog is well trained and doesn’t pull much on the lead, a collar may be suitable. If they pull a lot, a collar may put too much pressure on their delicate throat area which can be damaging. Some dogs, such as those with very thin necks like greyhounds, may need a very thick collar or a collar may not be suitable for them at all.
Some dogs will find a collar irritating, especially those with sensitive skin, so a collar may not be suitable. Harnesses put pressure on your dog’s chest and body rather than their neck, which can be safer and more practical if you do a lot of outdoor activities. Some people use a collar to display their dog’s tags and a harness to attach the lead.
Large breed dogs who pull may be too difficult to control on a harness. Headcollars or using both a collar and harness on a double-ended lead are a good solution, as this removes the pressure from your dog’s neck while still giving you the control you need.
Fundamentally, there’s no 1 right answer: it’s about working out what will give you the control you need while being safe and comfortable for your dog. If you’re in doubt, seek guidance from your vet or a professional dog trainer.
Collar Safety Advice
Always choose a collar the right size for your dog to ensure their safety and comfort. Never pull suddenly on your dog’s lead when they’re wearing a collar, as this can damage their neck. Always remove your dog’s collar when they’re unsupervised, during play, or when they’re in a pen or crate to ensure they don’t get caught on anything in their environment.
Are collars safe for dogs?
Yes, when fitted and used correctly collars are perfectly safe for dogs.
Should dogs wear their collars all the time?
No, it’s uncomfortable for your dog to wear their collar all the time. You should remove it at night and when they’re left alone.
Should you use prong or shock collars?
No, prong and shock collars aren’t humane and are unsafe to use, especially if you’re not a professional. Rather than correcting negative behaviours, they cause psychological distress to the dog which can result in more behaviour problems in the long term. If you do choose to use them, only do so under the supervision of a trained professional to ensure your dog’s safety.
The right collar will ensure your dog is comfortable and happy, allowing you to enjoy your life together no matter what adventures you embark on.