New Pup only recommends products that we’ve tested, or significantly researched . This page contains affiliate links, that at no additional cost to you, may earn a small commission for the site. Find out more here.
Best Dog Leads
- Top Pick: TUG 360° Dog Lead
- Second best: Halti Training Dog Lead
- Third best: JBYAMUK Strong Dog Lead
- Recommended: VIVAGLORY Bungee Dog Lead
- Recommended: LANNEY Hands Free Dog Lead
- Recommended: iNeego Dog Training Lead
- Recommended: Joytale Padded Handle Dog Lead
- Recommended: Zhichengbosi Dog Slip Lead
- Recommended: ADOGO® Dog Lead Splitter
- Recommended: CtopoGo Chain Dog Lead
Comparing the Best Dog Leads
In Depth Reviews of Our Recommended Leads
TUG 360° Dog Lead review
- Best retractable lead
- 5M long nylon tape
- Durable and easy to use
If you’re looking for the best retractable dog lead, the TUG Patented 360° Tangle-Free, Heavy Duty Retractable Dog Lead With Anti-Slip Handle is an excellent choice. The 5M long retractable tape gives your dog plenty of freedom while also allowing you to keep them under control. The tape is made from strong, woven nylon while the handle casing is made from strong plastic to ensure strength and durability.
This lead has an easy-to-use lock and brake system, allowing you to shorten the lead when needed to increase control. I found the handle was comfortable and the anti-slip grip allowed me to keep a firm hold even when my dog got excited and rushed forward.
I found this lead easy to use and enjoyed the freedom it gave my toy breed dog who is a rescue and is unable to be off lead on walks. This lead is an average, affordable price and given its high-quality construction, I feel it’s great value.
- Lightweight yet very strong, with many owners saying it stood up to their large breed dog who has previous snapped other retractable leads
- Easy to use, with the locking mechanism allowing for plenty of control
- Owners generally felt that this lead was comfortable to hold and allowed them to get a good grip
- Owners loved that the lead came with an optional extension on the dog’s end of the lead, designed to prevent chewers from chewing through the actual lead
- High-quality and very durable, with some stating it had lasted months of regular wear
- Owners of dogs who are unable to be let off lead felt that this lead gave their dog the extra freedom they needed
- Some owners with bigger hands said the smaller size of the lead felt tight around their hand
- Some owners found that the lock didn’t stay locked when their dog pulled forward
- After a period of regular use, some owners found the latch mechanism became faulty
- Some owners found that the lead tape snapped during use
- Some found that the lead tape became worn after a period of regular use
Halti Training Dog Lead review
- Best double-ended lead
- Multi use options
- Durable and practical
The Halti Training Lead For Dogs is the best double-ended dog lead available, with a clip on either end of the lead and rings at different points along the lead to provide multiple use options. You can use the rings to shorten or lengthen the lead to suit your needs or alter the formation of the lead to offer more control. This lead is well known among both dog parents and professionals with good reason.
I personally use this lead on most walks with my springer spaniel, using 1 clip attached to her collar and the other to her harness. I find it increases my control, is comfortable to hold, and is excellent for training. The lead is highly durable, made from water-resistant nylon webbing.
This lead comes at a very affordable price making it excellent value for money.
- Owners loved the multiple ways to use this lead, feeling it gave them plenty of control in a range of situations and was comfortable to use
- Highly durable and strong, even standing up to large breeds who pull
- Many said that this lead was excellent value for money given its high quality and low price
- Many owners said that this was their favourite lead, and they wouldn’t be without 1
- Owners generally found that this lead wore very well, even when used in all sorts of environments over time
- A lot of owners found that this lead helped them during training and aided in reducing negative behaviours like pulling
- Some owners found that the clips sometimes came undone during use, letting their dog get free from the lead
- Some felt that this lead wasn’t long enough, stating it didn’t suit their needs
- Some owners found that the lead became worn or broken after a period of regular use
- Some found that this lead wasn’t as high-quality as they expected
- Not designed to be chewed, with some owners finding their dog could chew through the lead when left unsupervised
JBYAMUK Strong Dog Lead review
- Best rope lead
- Strong climbing rope construction
- Padded handle
If you’re on the hunt for the best rope dog lead, the JBYAMUK 5 FT Strong Dog Lead could be the 1 for you. This lead is made from 5ft long strong, nylon climbing rope, designed to be lightweight yet extremely durable. A heavy-duty metal clip with a swivel design prevents tangling and ensures you have the control you need.
The handle of this lead is padded which I found made it very comfortable to hold on walks, preventing rope burn if my dog pulled forward suddenly. I liked that this lead had woven-in reflective threads to make night-time walks safer. It even comes with an attached poop bag holder, which is a cute and useful addition.
This lead comes at a very reasonable price and in my opinion, is good value.
- Most owners found that this lead was very strong and durable, even with large breed dogs who pull
- Many said this lead was comfortable to hold on walks, even when their dog pulled
- Some owners said that this lead stood up to their dog’s chewing, even when they have previously chewed through other leads
- Length allows for plenty of control while still allowing your dog their freedom
- Many felt that this lead was excellent value for money given its high quality and low price
- Some owners found the lead wasn’t as durable as they expected and began to show wear after a period of regular use
- Some found that the clip on the end of the lead failed after a period of use
- Some power chewers were able to chew through this lead when left unsupervised
- May be too thick and heavy for small breed dogs
- Some stated that this lead was not as high-quality as they expected
VIVAGLORY Bungee Dog Lead review
- Best bungee lead
- Bungee cord for shock absorption
- Additional handle for control
The VIVAGLORY Bungee Dog Lead Anti Shock 4FT Training Lead is 1 of the best bungee dog leads, offering both control and comfort. The lead is made from double layer, webbed nylon for durability, with a bungee cord section for shock absorption. I found that this reduced strain on both my dog and me if they pulled suddenly on a walk.
This lead has a cleverly placed handle close to your dog to give you that extra control when you need it. Both handles are padded for your comfort, and I found them easy to grip. I liked the colour choice with this lead and felt that the reflective threads were a bonus.
This lead comes at an affordable price.
- Most owners found this lead very comfortable to use, in particular mentioning the padded handles and shock absorption
- Many said the 2 handles allowed them to control their dog and made walks more pleasant, even with large breeds who aren’t yet lead trained
- Owners felt that the length of lead gave their dog freedom while also ensuring they had enough control
- Given the high quality and low price of this lead, many owners felt that this lead was great value
- Many said this lead was very sturdy and durable, wearing well over time
- Some owners felt that the traffic handle was attached too low down the lead, making it awkward to hold
- Some felt that this lead wasn’t well-made and wasn’t as high-quality as they expected
- Some found the lead was prone to breakage over time, in particular, mentioning the clasp coming loose and the material of the lead fraying
- Not designed to stand up to chewing, with some owners finding their dog could chew through the lead when left unsupervised
LANNEY Hands Free Dog Lead review
- Best hands-free lead
- Bungee for shock absorption
- 2 handles for control
If you need a hands-free lead for running or hiking, the LANNEY Hands-Free Dog Lead is a perfect choice. The belt is adjustable and wide to ensure comfort during wear. Dual sliding D rings on either side of the belt mean you can decide where you want to attach the lead, or can even walk 2 dogs at once.
A waist pouch attached to the belt allows you to carry some belongings with you, which I found really useful for my phone as well as treats for my dog. The lead itself has a bungee centre to ensure comfort for you and your dog if they pull suddenly. 2 handles on the lead offer control: 1 at the top so you can redirect your dog, and 1 near your dog for extra control when you need it.
The lead and belt are made from strong nylon, designed to be durable and long-lasting.
I found this lead very comfortable to wear and liked the reflective element on both the lead and belt. This lead is slightly more expensive than other options but given that it’s hands-free, I feel it’s well worth the price.
- Most owners found that the belt was adjustable enough to fit their waist comfortably, even those who have previously struggled to find a hands-free lead that fits
- Many owners found that the shock absorption of this lead made walks and runs more pleasant and comfortable, even when their dog pulled
- Added pouch is a bonus, allowing owners to carry their belongings and still keep their hands free
- Many owners said the lead was the perfect length, giving them enough control while also giving their dog plenty of freedom
- Owners generally felt this lead was high-quality and durable, making it great value
- Belt clip is plastic which may pose a weak point, with some owners finding it came open when their large breed dog pulled suddenly
- Some owners said that the bungee aspect didn’t give them enough control, particularly those with dogs who aren’t well lead trained
- Some found the lead didn’t wear well over time and therefore, felt it wasn’t great quality
- May be too sturdy and heavy for small breed dogs
- Some found that the belt wouldn’t stay adjusted and came loose on walks
iNeego Dog Training Lead review
- Best training lead
- 30m long for training
- Durable and strong
If you’re in the process of training your dog, the iNeego Dog Training Lead 30m is an excellent choice. Whether you’re training recall or general obedience, this 30m long lead is a great way to ensure you keep your dog safe and maintain control while they learn. Durable, strong nylon with a metal clip provides durability and strength.
A padded handle ensures you’re comfortable and can grip the lead firmly. I found this lead very strong and particularly useful when training my dog around distractions. This lead comes at a very reasonable price.
- Most owners found this lead helped to keep their dog safe during training, giving them peace of mind
- Owners of dogs who aren’t able to be off lead found this lead let their dogs have the freedom they needed
- Owners generally felt this lead was strong, sturdy, and durable
- Many said they appreciated the handle which made the lead more comfortable to use, especially when compared to other training leads they’d tried with no handle
- Many owners felt this lead was great value for money
- If you’re holding the lead outside of the handle, it can cause rope burns if your dog pulls
- Can tangle around objects and people easily, with owners recommending you only use the lead in big, open spaces
- Some found the lead didn’t wear well, finding it began to fray or break after a period of use
- Some felt this lead wasn’t sturdy enough for their large breed dog
- Some owners found that this lead was not as good quality as they hoped
Joytale Padded Handle Dog Lead review
- Best simple lead
- Padded handle for comfort
- Choice of length and width
If you prefer a simple, traditional lead, the Joytale Padded Handle Dog Lead is a wonderful option. This lead is made from nylon with high-density webbing to provide durability. A choice of lengths and widths are available to suit your control needs.
The handle is padded and easy to grip for your comfort on walks. This lead is even reflective to make walks in low light or darkness safer. I loved that there was such a wide variety of colours to choose from and that you could even buy a matching collar to step out in style with your pooch.
Best of all for owners, this lead comes at an exceptionally low price.
- Length allows your dog freedom while still ensuring you have control
- Many owners felt that this lead was a bargain given its low price and good quality
- Padded handle ensures owners are comfortable when walking their dog
- Owners generally felt this lead was strong and sturdy, even for large breed dogs
- Reflective stitching in the lead makes walks in low light or darkness safer, giving owners peace of mind
- Owners liked the range of colours to choose from and the option to get a matching collar
- Some owners felt that this lead wasn’t well made or as high quality as they expected
- Some experienced breakage after a period of use, in particular mentioning the clasp was a weak point
- Some owners felt the lead was too long for their dog, not giving them enough control
- May not be sturdy enough for large and giant breed dogs who pull
Zhichengbosi Dog Slip Lead review
- Best slip lead
- Durable nylon rope construction
- Provides excellent control
The Zhichengbosi Dog Slip Lead is a great choice if you’re looking for the best dog slip lead, made from woven nylon rope for durability. A black leather tab and metal ring ensure the lead stays high on your dog’s neck, allowing for plenty of control. This lead tightens gently when your dog pulls forward, allowing you to efficiently correct negative behaviour.
I found that you can use this lead around your dog’s neck or in a figure of 8 shape around their nose and neck, which is my preferred use. We used this lead when my spaniel was younger during training and found it easy to use. It’s highly durable and years later has barely shown any wear.
A choice of colours is available, and the lead even comes at a very low price.
- Provides plenty of control, with owners saying it aided with gentle yet efficient corrections, enabling them to correct negative behaviour like pulling
- Owners found this lead easy to put on, adjust, and use
- Many felt that this lead was great value given its quality and particularly low price
- Owners generally felt that this lead was strong and sturdy, standing up to wear well
- Many said that this lead was comfortable for both them and their dogs
- Not designed to stand up to power chewing, with some dogs being able to chew through the lead when left unsupervised
- Some owners of dogs who aren’t well lead trained found their dog kept pulling on this lead, resulting in too much pressure on their throat
- Some experienced wear and breakage after a period of use
- Some found it wasn’t as high quality as they expected, and they felt it wouldn’t be durable enough to last
- Some owners of dogs who pull found the lead wasn’t comfortable to hold
ADOGO® Dog Lead Splitter review
- Best double lead
- No-tangle design
- Durable and strong
If you have a multi-dog household like me, the ADOGO® Dog Lead Splitter, No-Tangle Double Dog Leash is 1 of the best double dog leads, allowing you to walk 2 dogs on 1 lead. The lead is made from reinforced, braided nylon polyester, designed to be durable and strong. A 360-degree swivel clasp at the top of the lead helps to prevent tangling, which I’ve found works like a charm when my dogs decide to change direction.
The padded handle ensures you’re comfortable while walking, while the length of the leads allow your dogs freedom while still giving you control. We’ve used this lead to walk our 2 small breed dogs for years and found it convenient, comfortable, easy to use, and very durable. It even comes at a very low price, which in my opinion is a bargain.
- Swivel system generally prevents 2 dogs getting tangled, giving them more freedom and making walks easier for the owner
- Owners generally found the padded handle very comfortable to hold
- Lightweight yet very durable and sturdy, with some owners being surprised at how strong the lead was
- Many owners felt that this lead was excellent value given its low price
- Many said the length of the leads gave their dogs more freedom but still allowed plenty of control
- Some owners felt that the leads were too long and didn’t give them enough control
- Some experienced breakage after a period of use with medium or large breed dogs
- Can be uncomfortable to hold outside of the handle if you need more control
- Some found this lead wasn’t as high quality as they expected
CtopoGo Chain Dog Lead review
- Best chain lead
- Strong and durable
- Comfortable handle
The CtopoGo Premium Chain Heavy Duty Dog Leash is 1 of the best chain dog leads, made from argon welded, chrome plated chain to offer extreme durability and strength. At 120cm long, this lead gives your dog plenty of freedom while also allowing enough control. This lead is ideal for large breed dogs, designed to stand up to their strength and power.
I found that the handle was comfortable to hold and allowed me to get a good grip of the lead. This lead comes at an average price.
- Most owners felt this was a heavy-duty, very robust lead, with some saying it stood up to their dog’s chewing
- Padded handle is comfortable to hold during walks, even for owners of big, strong dogs
- Owners generally felt this lead was well-made and high-quality
- Owners felt the lead was generally good value and were pleased with their purchase
- Handle can pose a weak point for dogs who chew, with some owners finding their dog could bite through it
- Some found that the chain started to rust after a period of use in wet weather
- Some found the clasp was faulty and would get stuck or was stiff to use
- Some owners found this lead was quite heavy to hold on walks
Dog Lead Buyer’s Guide
Things to Look for in a Dog Lead
When you’re looking for the best dog lead, consider the following to help you make the best choice for you and your dog:
Type of Lead
There are many types of lead, so take your time to consider what will work best for you and your dog. For example, if you love running a hands-free lead might be best, or if you need more control a double-ended lead might work for you.
Choosing a lead made from high-quality material means it’s likely to last longer and stand up to wear. You should also consider the type of material: For example, nylon leads tend to be more affordable and are generally fairly strong. If you have a large breed dog who pulls, a chain or rope lead might be more suitable as they tend to be stronger and more durable.
The type and quality of material will impact how durable the lead is. The more durable the lead, the longer it’s likely to last. You can also look for features such as weather-resistant material and reinforced stitching.
The size and strength of your dog will dictate how strong you need the lead to be. As mentioned, material type effects strength. However, you can also look at width: wider leads are likely to be stronger and are typically a good choice if your dog is a chewer.
When choosing lead length, consider how much control you need and the purpose of the lead. Shorter leads offer more control, while longer leads offer more freedom for your dog and less control. Very long leads can be great during training to ensure your dog is safe yet has the freedom to learn.
Aside from lead length, there are lots of other factors to consider when it comes to control. A handle that gives you a comfortable, firm grip is crucial. Additional handles near your dog allow for extra control when needed.
Leads with shock absorption can be useful but may offer less control. Double-ended leads allow you to attach the lead to your dog at 2 points, often offering the most control.
Size and Weight Appropriate
It’s crucial the lead is a suitable size and weight for your dog. Consider the weight and width of the lead as well as length. If you have a small breed dog, a thinner, more lightweight lead will be more appropriate, while for large breed dogs a thicker, heavier lead may be more suitable.
Lead Training Tips
If you’re new to lead training, there are lots of great, detailed guides online to help you. You can also seek the guidance of your dog’s vet or a professional dog trainer. Some basic tips to help you get started are included below:
- Walk slowly and calmly
- If your dog pulls, stop and bring them back to your side: this teaches them that if they pull, they don’t move forward
- If your dog walks on a loose lead, praise them, keep walking, and give them a treat
- Have treats to hand as giving them a treat at the right time is crucial
- Be patient and consistent, repeating these steps until your dog gets the hang of it
Lead Safety Advice
Always choose a lead of the right size and strength for your dog. Never pull on the lead suddenly or harshly, as this might hurt your dog. Don’t wrap the lead around your hand, as if your dog pulls this can hurt you.
Dog Lead FAQ
How do you stop your dog from pulling?
Consistent lead training paired with the right equipment is key to tackle pulling. If you’re struggling, seek help from a professional.
Are retractable leads bad?
If your dog isn’t well lead trained, retractable leads may not be suitable because they give you less control and can encourage negative behaviour. However, if your dog is well lead trained and you use the lead appropriately, retractable leads can give dogs freedom and be a positive addition to your walks.
The right lead ensures you and your dog are safe during walks, allowing you to relax and enjoy your adventures together.