New Pup only recommends products that we’ve tested, or significantly researched . This page contains affiliate links, that at no additional cost to you, may earn a small commission for the site. Find out more here.
Best Dog Treats
- Top Pick: Pedigree DentaStix
- Second best: Pedigree Schmackos
- Third best: Bounce and Bella Dog Training Treats
- Recommended: Bounce and Bella Natural Dog Chews
- Recommended: Wagg Puppy Junior Treats
- Recommended: Bonio – The Original Dog Biscuits
- Recommended: Healthy Hounds Mutt Peanut Butter
- Recommended: Arden Grange Tasty Liver Treats
- Recommended: Hollings Sprats for Dogs
- Recommended: Scrumbles Nibbles
Comparing the Best Dog Treats
In Depth Reviews of Our Recommended Treats
Pedigree DentaStix review
- Best dental treat
- ‘X’ shaped chew to clean teeth
- Low fat and high-quality
If you’re looking for the best dental dog treat, the Pedigree DentaStix should definitely be in the running. Made with high-quality ingredients and shaped into an ‘X’, these chews are designed to clean your dog’s teeth, fight bad breath, and keep their gums healthy. They’re even scientifically proven to help reduce plaque and tartar build-up by as much as 80%!
They contain no artificial colours or flavours, are low in fat and contain only 50 calories per chew to ensure they’re healthy for your pup. My dogs loved these chews and I found that they were a great addition to their oral hygiene routine. I found they really got to those hard-to-reach back teeth, which can be hard to reach with brushing.
- Most owners said their dog absolutely loved these chews and would show great excitement when they opened the packet
- Owners generally felt these treats helped to clean their dog’s teeth when used alongside their usual brushing routine
- Package deals offer great value for money which many owners were pleased with
- Many owners felt these treats were high-quality and healthy for their dog
- Many said they felt these were much better quality than other dental chews they had tried
- Some found these treats didn’t agree with their dog’s digestive system, causing adverse effects
- Some felt these treats were too high calorie or high in fat for their dog
- Some found their dog didn’t like these treats and weren’t keen on eating them
- Some felt the treats were too soft and therefore, didn’t keep their dog chewing for long
- Some owners felt these treats weren’t as good as other similar dental chews they had tried
Pedigree Schmackos review
- Best treat strips
- Soft and tender
- Quality ingredients
The Pedigree Schmackos Mega Pack is 1 of the best treat strips on the market, full of meaty flavour. These strips are soft and tender, so they can be given whole as a soft chew or easily broken up into smaller pieces for training. These treats contain no artificial colours or flavours and are packed full of healthy ingredients like omega 6, calcium, and vitamin E.
Each strip contains 30 calories, making a healthy snack for your best friend. My dogs loved these, and I liked that a mix of flavours was included in this value pack to keep things interesting for them. I loved that I could take a couple of these out on walks and easily break them up to reward my 3 dogs for their good behaviour.
- Most owners said their dogs loved these treats and would get very excited when they were offered, even those who are usually picky eaters
- Many liked the option of giving these treats whole or breaking them up into smaller pieces
- Owners often found these handy to use while training or when out on walks
- Many said these treats were good quality, especially when compared to other similar treat strips
- Most felt this mega pack was great value, and liked that it included multiple flavours
- These strips are soft and don’t last long as chews, which some owners found disappointing
- Some found the treats didn’t agree with their dog’s stomach
- Some owners felt these treats weren’t as good value for money as they expected, in particular mentioning the treats seemed smaller than they used to be
Bounce and Bella Dog Training Treats review
- Best training treats
- Natural ingredients
- Approx. 800 in a bag
If you’re training your dog, the Bounce and Bella Grain Free Dog Training Treats are an excellent choice. They’re small, low in calories, and packed full of healthy ingredients. These treats are made with only 5, all-natural ingredients, containing no additives, preservatives, artificial flavourings, sugars, or grain, giving your dog the best quality possible.
Best of all for training, you get around 800 treats in the bag, allowing you to reward your dog as much as needed to reinforce good behaviour. My dogs absolutely adore these treats, and so do I! I carry plenty of them in a training treat pouch on every walk, allowing me to reward good behaviour instantly.
- Most owners found their dogs loved the flavour and crunchy texture of these treats, even dogs who are usually picky or those with health issues
- Owners loved the natural ingredients in these treats, feeling they were high-quality and healthy for their dog
- Many found these treats were great for training, acting as a high-value training treat that is low in calorie and small enough to give plenty of during training sessions
- Most felt these treats were great value for money given their quality and how many treats come in a bag
- No hidden nasties mean these treats are gentle on your dog’s digestive system, with many owners of dogs with additional health needs stating these didn’t upset their dog’s stomach
- Some owners found their dogs didn’t like these treats and wouldn’t eat them
- Some felt these treats were too hard and crunchy for their dog
- Only suitable for 16 weeks and onwards, with some puppy owners finding the guidance confusing and ending up with treats they couldn’t use for their young puppy
- Some found these treats simply didn’t agree with their dog’s stomach
Bounce and Bella Natural Dog Chews review
- Best dog chews
- All-natural, 100% beef
- Tasty and full of flavour
If you want the best dog chew, the Bounce and Bella Natural Dog Chews are a great option, made with just 1 ingredient: 100% beef. This means the chews are completely natural and free of any hidden nasties, and at around 15.5 calories per chew, they’re a very healthy choice for your dog.
These chews are naturally air-dried to create that chewy texture, as well as locking in the smell and flavour for your pup. I loved that these treats were all-natural, feeling I was giving my dogs a chew that was high-quality and safe for them. Most importantly, my dogs seemed to love these chews!
- Many owners found their dogs loved the flavour, smell, and texture of these treats
- Some stated that these treats were great value for money, especially given their quality
- Owners generally loved that these treats were all-natural and felt they were very healthy for their dog
- Owners liked that these chews were a safer option than rawhide
- Some felt these chews helped to clean their dog’s teeth which was an added bonus
- Some owners found these chews didn’t last as long as they hoped, with their dog being able to chew through them quickly
- Supervision is needed at all times with dog chews as hard pieces swallowed in a hurry could pose a choking hazard
- Some felt these chews were too hard and dry for their dog
- Some owners of large breeds felt these chews were too small for their dog
- Some owners weren’t happy with the quality of these treats and felt they weren’t good value
Wagg Puppy Junior Treats review
- Best puppy treats
- Soft texture
- Low in calorie
The Wagg Puppy Junior Treats With Chicken and Yoghurt 120 g are some of the best puppy treats, oven-baked to lock in plenty of flavour. They’re enriched with calcium, vitamins, and minerals to support your puppy’s development and keep them healthy. With a soft texture for delicate little mouths, these treats are ideal for puppies from 8 weeks old.
The treats are small and contain only 5 calories each, making them a great choice for training. I loved that these treats were enriched with quality ingredients and even came in the shape of cute, puppy paws.
- Many owners said their puppy loved these treats and would come running in excitement when they were offered
- Owners liked that they were small, and the texture was soft, making them easy for their puppy to eat
- Many felt the ingredients of these treats were high-quality and gentle on their puppy’s delicate tummy
- Treats are soft enough to be broken into smaller pieces, which is handy for training
- Many felt these treats were good value for money and were happy with their purchase
- Owners generally felt these treats were great for training during those all-important puppy months
- Some found their puppy wasn’t interested in these treats and didn’t enjoy them
- Some found these treats didn’t agree with their puppy’s digestive system
- Some felt these treats weren’t as high-quality as they would have liked
Bonio – The Original Dog Biscuits review
- Best biscuit treat
- Crunchy and oven-baked
- High-quality ingredients
The Bonio The Original Biscuits Dog Food are some of the best dog biscuits available. These treats are a crunchy, oven-baked biscuit to make your dog’s tail wag. They’re low in fat and calories and packed full of tasty, quality ingredients. They contain no added colours, preservatives, or flavours.
My springer loved these biscuits and I loved that the crunchy texture even helped to keep her teeth clean. I liked that they were a good size, making it feel like she was really getting a special treat.
- Owners were generally pleased with the size of the biscuits and how many they got in a box, stating it was good value
- Many said their dogs really loved these biscuits and had them as a regular snack
- Can be broken up for smaller dogs or to make the treat last longer
- Most owners felt these biscuits were high-quality and healthy for their dog
- Crunchy texture can help to keep your dog’s teeth clean which owners appreciated
- Biscuits can be prone to breaking into smaller pieces during the delivery process
- Some found their dog didn’t like these biscuits and wouldn’t eat them
- Some found the biscuits were larger than they expected and felt they were too big for their dog
Healthy Hounds Mutt Peanut Butter review
- Best dog peanut butter
- 100% natural
- Many ways to use
If you’re looking for a great spreadable treat, the Healthy Hounds 2 x Mutt Butter 100% Natural Peanut Butter For Dogs is 1 of the best dog peanut butters. Made with all-natural, roasted peanuts and no artificial ingredients, no added salt, sugar, palm oil, or Xylitol, this peanut butter is not only tasty but completely safe for your pup. It’s even full of natural vitamins which are great for your dog’s health.
My dogs absolutely adore this peanut butter and it’s a staple in our household. It can be used to spread on a lick mat, to fill their treat dispensing toys, to freeze in hot weather, and can even be baked into homemade dog treats. Top tip: it’s great for hiding your dog’s medication.
- Many said their dog loved this peanut butter and they would continue to repurchase
- Owners loved that they could use this treat with treat dispensers, stating it stimulated their dog and kept them busy for long periods
- Many said this treat was good value, especially given how little you need to use to fill up treat-dispensing toys
- Some found this treat helped to redirect destructive behaviour and aided in giving their dog a healthy outlet for their behaviour
- Owners generally felt this treat was high-quality and liked that it was made with natural ingredients
- Many said they liked being able to put treat-dispensing toys in the freezer with this treat inside, stating it kept their dog busy for longer
- Some felt the consistency of this peanut butter was too thick for their dog
- Some felt the price of this product was too high and stated they could find a lower price elsewhere
- Some dogs didn’t like the smell or taste of this peanut butter and wouldn’t eat it
Arden Grange Tasty Liver Treats review
- Best dog paste
- Many ways to use
- Hypoallergenic and grain-free
The Arden Grange Tasty Liver Treats for Cats and Dogs is another fantastic spreadable option. It’s filled with flavour and quality ingredients for your dog and is only 221 calories per tube. It’s even hypoallergenic and grain-free to ensure it’s healthy for your dog.
This treat can be spread on a lick mat, put in a treat dispenser, or even just licked from the tube! Our dogs love this paste and we’ve been buying it for years. Top tip: it needs to be kept in the fridge once opened, so leave it out for half an hour before use so it’s easier to squeeze out.
- Most owners said their dog loves this paste, especially when spread on a lick-mat or put in a treat-dispensing toy
- Some said their dog loved the thick consistency of this product, in particular mentioning it was easy to hide medication in
- Owners liked that this paste was fairly low calorie and low fat for their dog, especially when compared to other similar products
- Some found this treat useful for training, finding it helped to distract their dog during grooming and bath time, and helped redirect negative behaviour
- Some stated the paste was good value, especially considering its high quality
- Product can be hard to squeeze out of the tube and needs some pressure, especially after being in the fridge
- Some found their dog didn’t like this paste and wouldn’t eat it
- Some didn’t like the consistency of this paste, feeling it was too oily or too thick
- Some owners, particularly those of dogs with sensitive stomachs, found this paste upset their dog’s tummy
Hollings Sprats for Dogs review
- Best natural treat
- 100% dried, fresh fish
- Great for your dog’s health
The Hollings Sprats for Dogs, 100g, Pack of 1 are 1 of the best natural dog treats, made from just 1 ingredient: 100% fresh fish. They’re packed with omega 3 and 6, as well as essential fatty acids, making them great for your dog’s health. They’re low in calories and great for your dog’s skin, coat, joints, and even their digestion.
All 3 of my dogs love these dried fish treats and I always feel comfortable giving them as a snack, knowing they’re completely natural and very healthy. You can even buy them in value packs which is great if, like me, you have a multi-dog household.
- Most owners said their dog loved the smell and taste of these treats
- Owners liked that these treats were completely natural, feeling they were good for their dog
- Many owners found these were gentle on their dog’s digestive system, even with dogs who usually have reactions to other treats
- Owners generally felt these treats were good value given their quality
- Due to the strong smell and taste, owners found they were great for use as a high value treat during training
- Owners liked that these treats have additional health benefits such as improving skin and coat condition, being good for heart health, and helping to keep joints in good condition
- As they’re natural fish, they have a very strong smell upon opening the bag
- Some found their dog didn’t like the smell or taste of these treats
- Some felt these treats weren’t as high-quality as they expected, in particular when compared to other similar treats they’d tried
- Some stated the treats didn’t arrive in good condition and they had to get a refund
- Some owners found the fact that these treats are whole dried sprats off-putting
Scrumbles Nibbles review
- Best calming treat
- All-natural, calming ingredients
- No hidden nasties
If your dog is anxious, or you just think they would benefit from some calming, the Scrumbles Nibbles, 100% Natural, Calming Dog Treats, Grain Free Turkey Training Treats, 100g pouch are some of the best calming dog treats. These treats are made with all-natural ingredients, including lemon balm and chamomile to promote a calming feeling. They’re free from hidden nasties, hypoallergenic, and are even good for your dog’s digestion.
I found my dogs enjoyed the turkey flavour of these treats and they certainly seemed to have a gentle calming effect. I appreciated the natural ingredients and liked that they were made in the UK by a family business. If you have a small dog, like my chihuahua, you can easily break these treats up into bite-sized pieces.
- Most owners said their dogs enjoyed these treats and would ask for more
- Owners loved the natural ingredients, feeling they were safe and healthy for their dog
- Many said they felt these treats had a gentle calming effect which they found useful at night or during stressful situations
- Owners appreciated that the packing was fully recyclable, with some saying they liked the ethos of the company
- Owners of dogs with sensitive stomachs stated these were gentle on their dog’s tummy
- Owners liked that these could be broken up into smaller pieces when needed
- Packet doesn’t have a reseal feature which owners found annoying as they had to use a clip to keep it closed
- Some found their dog didn’t like these treats, with some owners particularly mentioning they thought it was because they didn’t have a strong smell to attract their dog
- Some found these treats didn’t have the desired calming effect on their dog
Dog Treat Buyer’s Guide
Things to Look for in a Dog Treat
When you’re looking for the best dog treats for your best friend, it’s a good idea to look for the following:
Choosing a treat made from high-quality ingredients will ensure your dog is getting treats that are safe and healthy for them. Where possible, treats containing natural and organic ingredients with no hidden artificial nasties are best for your dog’s health.
Correct Size and Chew Strength for Your Dog
It’s important you choose a treat that’s the right size and chew strength for your pup to ensure they’re safe and that they can enjoy the treat properly. A treat that’s too small could cause a choking hazard, while 1 that’s too big could be too difficult for them to eat.
Likewise, a treat that’s too hard could hurt their mouth while 1 that’s too soft might not last long. This will be more important if you’re looking for a long-lasting treat, such as a chew.
Type of Treat
Take your time to figure out what the purpose of the treat will be so you can decide what type of treat is best. For example, you might want a small, low-calorie treat for training, a crunchy biscuit to give as a midday snack, or a tougher, long-lasting chew to keep your dog busy.
Some treats have additional benefits, such as textures that help to clean your dog’s teeth as they chew, or ingredients that help with calming or are good for their joints. These are always great bonuses to keep an eye out for.
Value for Money
Of course, you’ll want value for money. As well as considering the price and how many treats you get, think about the quality of ingredients and how long the treat will last.
Dogs need to maintain a healthy weight and just like our food, their food contains calories. We need to keep an eye on the calorie content of treats to ensure we don’t overfeed them. Lower calorie treats are generally healthier, especially if you’ll be giving them regularly.
Suitable for Your Dog’s Health
Some dogs have specific health needs that affect their diet. If your dog has specific dietary requirements be sure to check the treat description carefully. It’s always a good idea to check out the reviews to get an idea of how other dogs with similar issues reacted to the treat you’re considering.
Dog Treat Safety Advice
Always ensure the treat is the right size and strength for your dog for their safety. Choose treats with dog-safe, healthy ingredients: it’s best to avoid rawhide and bones as these can pose blockage and choking hazards. It’s always best to supervise your dog while they eat, especially with a new treat, to ensure their safety.
Are treats good for your dog?
Yes, when giving a high-quality treat at the right time, treats are good for your dog.
Giving our dogs treats brings so much joy to them and us! Choosing the right treat will ensure your dog is eating something that’s high-quality and good for their health.